- Position title: Senior Energy Economist
- Grade: PL5
- Position N°: 50093660
- Reference: ADB/17/195
- Publication date: 12/05/2017
- Closing date: 02/06/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Years Strategy, High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”. The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) to provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) to develop new financing instruments; (iv) to act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”. The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/ DIVISION
The Energy, Financial solution, policy and regulation department is responsible for advising Regional Member Countries in the establishment of relevant policies and regulations and to structure energy investments. The department is also responsible for coordinating relevant flagship programs: Early stage Project support and Financing Catalyst and country wide transformation. Under the department there are two divisions. They are Energy Policy regulations and statistics Division and Financial Solutions Division.
The Energy Policy, Regulations, Procurement and Statistics Division provides leadership in the establishment of relevant energy policies and clear, predictable and transparent regulation framework to ensure financial stability of the sector and mobilization of private investments.
The role of the Energy Economist will be to provide deep sectoral expertise for the analysis of power markets in Regional Member Countries and identifies opportunities for Bank support. The job holder contributes to the delivery of flagships as relevant.
Under the general guidance and overall supervision of the Division Manager, Energy, Policy, Regulation, Procurement and Statistics, the Energy Economist will perform the following:
1. Coordinate/support the delivery of flagships as relevant to ensure delivery of the New Deal on Energy objectives;
2. Support the rolling out of transparent Independent Power Producers procurement scheme and the mobilization of the private sector in generation;
3. Compile energy market data, analyses market trends, including demand, supply and price projections, and undertakes market intelligence in support of financing decisions
4. Monitor and analyse evolution of energy policies in Regional Member Countries and Regional Economic Communities ;
5. Assess the institutional and regulatory environment of the energy sector and identify opportunities for Bank support;
6. Carry out studies related to the medium- to long-term impacts of major energy projects, programs and policy developments in Regional Member Countries, Power Pools and Regional Economic Communities;
7. Prepare medium-to- long term energy sector outlook reports on in Regional Member Countries/Regional Economic Communities;
8. Advise on the preparation of energy sector master plans for member countries;
9. Coordinate energy initiatives and programs with regional bodies such as the African Union, Development Financial Institutions and bi-lateral partners;
10. Carry out economic and stakeholder evaluation of energy projects funded by the Bank where relevant;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Engineering, Economics, Finance or Business or related field.
2. Have a minimum of five (5) years relevant professional experience in power systems economic analysis and experiences in power sector project development;
3. Communication - Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas
4. Problem Solving
5. Client Orientation
6. Team working
7. Ability to make effective and timely decisions;
8. Proven ability to economically assess grid based power systems alternatives;
9. Full understanding of the principles of project cycle and project implementation;
10. Proven ability to interact competently with the staff of government and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination, as well as with the private sector;
11. Proven ability to utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way;
12. Capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change.
13. Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
14. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.