WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT
Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
The country offices were created to strengthen the strategic dialogue between the Bank, governments and other stakeholders, it also seeks to strengthen the operational functions of the Bank Group, including the energy sector, by supporting project/programme identification, start-up and monitoring with a view to enhancing portfolio quality and to coordinate aid with other development partners in Africa.
The Senior Energy Officer is responsible for the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of energy sector projects, as well as conducting policy dialogue on key issues in the energy sector.
The incumbent will be in charge of project management and loan administration activities related to energy sector of the Bank Group's portfolio in Mozambique as defined in the country office functions and responsibilities, including the coordination of related programs with the Government, civil society and local bodies, private sector and development partners.
Under the supervision of the Regional Sector Manager, Energy Infrastructure, (RDGS1) and the Country Manager, the Senior Energy Officer will perform the following:
Business Development and Pipeline management
Knowledge Production, Policy Dialogue and Coordination
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. At least a Master’s degree in Economic, Finance, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering or Electromechanical Engineering or related fields. Additional training in management and / or economics is an asset.
2. Demonstrate at least 5 years of relevant professional experience and proven track record and analytical skills in the following areas: power sector strategy formulation; financing of energy projects (both public and private); structuring of financial packages for financing of infrastructure projects; management and operation of power generation, transmission and distribution utilities; electrical system planning and design; project management; contract administration; costing of infrastructure projects;.
3. Experience implementing projects with public sector institutions and / or bilateral and multilateral development finance institutions; will give an added advantage for this position.
4. Proven ability to operate in high level policy dialogue and in politically sensitive context;
5. Strong networking skills, and an ability to coordinate diverse shareholders and interests;
6. Strong team spirit and proven ability to operate across a diverse team, often based in different geographical locations;
7. A self-starter, with an ability to work with relatively little supervision or guidance;
8. Capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change.
9. Familiarity with project management and project identification procedures in development institutions, with multilateral development banks and in particular of the African Development Bank, an added advantage
10. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and IN Portuguese
11. Good working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
12. Good command of standard Bank commonly used software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentations)
13. Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT. (INCUMBENTS OF THE POSITION WILL BE CONSIDERED AS LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL STATUS).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.