WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The role of the Financial Management Department is to develop and promulgate policies and guidelines relating to the financial management for the Bank Group. It also ensures internal consistency of all financial policies and guidelines, including those initiated and developed by the other departments in the Bank, as well as monitors and reports on compliance.
The Asset and Liability Management Division is responsible for developing and directing the Asset and Liability Management functions of the Bank Group entities, including financial policies, financial modelling and projections and balance sheet management activities involving risks related to changes in interest rates, exchange rates and the liquidity position
The Senior Financial Risk Officer prepares and periodically update financial projections for the ADB, ADF (African Development Fund) and the NTF (Nigeria Trust Fund); prepare risk intelligence and benchmarking analyses; prepare financial management data related to the Bank Group's resource mobilization efforts;
Ensure that Financial Risk Management limits are maintained within Board approved limits and the Asset and Liability Management Committee (ALCo) operating guidelines.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Asset and Liability Management, the Senior Financial Risk Officer will perform the following:
1. Contribute to the preparation of the Bank’s annual medium-term financial performance outlook (MTFO) paper.
2. Contribute to the elaboration of the Programme Budget Document (PBD).
3. Accountable for the development and production of the quarterly financial projections report contained in the “ALCo pack”, which is the prime set of documents used to make strategic decisions pertaining to the ongoing management of the Bank Group’s balance sheet and the continuing development of margin enhancing operations.
4. Identify and explain variance in financial key indicators.
5. Model the structure of specific/ new products in order to reflect how their profiles would impact the Bank Group’s financial position and overall risk profile.
6. Responsible for the maintenance of the integrity of Risk Management Analytics System/Processes with consideration of data, assumptions, processes and reporting through automation, reconciliation, and documentation.
7. Provide prompt response to analytic requests from senior management.
8. Keep abreast of all ALM risks -related regulatory developments and industry best practice – particularly through the development of a strong network with peers at other major MDBs (Multilateral Development Bank).
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in a quantitative field (Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics and/or other relevant fields). CFA or FRM/PRM professional qualification is advantageous.
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years with proven track record in the financial field or a related consulting role, with at least 3 years’ experience in forecasting P&L and balance sheet of a financial services / banking entity.
3. Experience with an MDB with emphasis in quantitative risk, highly valuable
4. Detailed financial knowledge and a solid understanding of accounting theory, financial risks and complex financial instruments
5. Excellent analytical skills
6. Specialist knowledge of statistical modelling techniques
7. Problem Solving: Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization
8. Operational effectiveness: ability to function effectively with deadlines and whilst under pressure
10. Team Working and Relationships: Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment.
11. Good understanding of relational databases and development languages (e.g. SQL, VBA).
12. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
13. Competence in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.