- Position title: Senior Operations Specialist
- Grade: PL5
- Position N°: 50086490
- Reference: ADB/19/012
- Publication date: 01/03/2019
- Closing date: 31/03/2019
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier multi-lateral development finance institution fostering economic growth and social progress in Africa. The AfDB’s primary goal is to reduce poverty and improve living standards by mobilising resources in and outside Africa, and providing financial and technical assistance for development projects and programs in Africa.
The Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) is housed in PERN1. SEFA is a multi-donor trust fund financed by the Governments of Denmark, the UK, the USA, Italy and Norway. SEFA provides technical assistance and innovative and catalytic financing for energy access by unlocking private sector investments in renewable energy (RE) and energy efficiency (EE) projects and programs.
Under the supervision of the PERN Special Initiatives Manager and the Head of SEFA, the Incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Supervise the pipeline/portfolio management platform that tracks projects across all SEFA components;
- Work with the operational teams in carrying portfolio management activities, particularly in areas of procurement, legal processing and disbursement;
- Support the team in post-grant activities (project structuring);
- Serve as primary liaison and ensure timely responses to solicitations from internal and external stakeholders; and
- Maintain up-to-date guidelines, templates and user manuals for internal and external audiences;
- Support Secretariat team in project identification, review and screening;
- Support applicants and Bank task managers with writing of grant requests;
- Provide technical inputs and support due diligence activities on grant applications
- Facilitation and liaison with other Bank-hosted concessional finance instruments
Reporting, M&E and Knowledge Management
- Ensure operationalisation of the SEFA’s M&E framework;
- Carry supervision missions to assess programme effectiveness;
- Lead in the preparation of SEFA’s annual report, quarterly updates and monthly briefs;
- Support on development of annual strategies and work plans, closely monitoring implementation;
- Carry-out research and prepare briefs as required by Management and SEFA Head.
- Coordinate SEFA public relations workflow and explore possibilities of SEFA web-presence (AfDB website, external website, external donor data platform, etc.)
- Manage SEFA communications materials, including brochures and press releases
- Liaison and coordination with internal and external partners
- Develop a specific annual work programme contributing to the SEFA objectives
- Develop quarterly progress reports
- Lead the preparation of the annual reports.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in in economics, finance, international relations, energy or related field;
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in project portfolio management, preferably linked to technical assistance and capacity building programs
- Experience of working with projects and institutions in Africa, preferably with some exposure to processes and procedures of development finance institutions
- Some prior exposure to energy sector, business development and private sector finance not mandatory but considered an advantage
- Ability to work independently, pro-actively and with little supervision
- Good communication and team skills, professional judgment, presentation and maturity
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, particularly excel and access;
- Gender and Diversity competence
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Working knowledge of an additional language relevant for conducting duties in Sub-Sahel African countries will be an asset;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
THIS ADVERTISEMENT IS POSTED BY THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (AFDB) ON BEHALF OF THE SUSTAINABLE ENERGY FUND FOR AFRICA (SEFA) WHICH IS THE EMPLOYER FOR THIS POSITION. ENGAGEMENT AS STAFF OF SEFA DOES NOT OFFER ANY EXPECTATION FOR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT AS STAFF IN THE AfDB.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.