WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa:
North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
The position is situated in the Eastern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery Office.
The Senior Power Engineer is responsible for the origination of energy projects and programs, processing of Bank financing, supervision of implementation and general portfolio management of energy sector projects. In this work, the incumbent interacts closely with other staff members in the following complexes; Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization; Agriculture, Human and Social Development; and Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth. The incumbent is directly involved in the development cycle from identification of opportunities in line with the High 5s to their approval by the Bank’s Boards of Directors. As part of the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the incumbent contributes to the delivery of the ‘Power and Light Up Africa’, ‘Integrate Africa’, ‘Improve the Quality of Life of the People of Africa’ and the ‘Industrialize Africa’ Strategies.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Sector Manager (RDGE1), the Senior Power Engineer will perform the following:
1. Provide support to the Regional Member Countries (RMC) and bank teams in the origination, preparation, structuring and implementation of complex and innovative energy projects.
2. Work with Region / Hub-based staff and relevant governance / risk / compliance units, in the process of identification, preparation and execution of Sovereign (SO) and Non-Sovereign (NSO) operations, as well as in conducting policy / result based operations and technical assistance related to the above topics;
3. Contribute to solving issues related to energy sector development including advice to RMCs for promoting policies conducive to strong growth/development of the energy sector as well as other areas of activity of the Division (creation of an enabling environment for private sector investments in energy projects, corporate governance);
4. Review the various proposals and communications sent to the Bank by its partner, clients and RMCs; and take appropriate action, including issuing of technical opinion on government submissions to the Bank, drafting of responses and/or reports / presentations and internal or external follow-up. This includes, inter alia, review of bidding documents, bid evaluation reports, quarterly progress reports, request for extension of contracts or LDD (Last Disbursement Date);
5. Provide the required technical skills to design national and multinational projects that respond to the needs of the RMCs and regional economic communities based on their priorities and selectivity;
6. Liaise with other development partners in order to identify opportunities for co-financing and other partnerships;
7. Provide inputs for the power sector into the Bank’s pipeline of projects;
1. Provide sector expertise for quality assurance in: preparation of terms of reference (TORs), requests for proposals (RFPs), tender documents to procure goods and/or services in line with the Bank’s procurement rules: e.g. Recruitment and supervision of expert advisors (and Bank staff) regarding execution of socio-techno-economic (pre-) - feasibility studies and utility performance diagnostics;`
2. Task-manage the Bank’s energy sector projects in Ethiopia and carry out all regular portfolio management activities, including interaction with Project Management Units (PMUs) or Project Implementation Units (PIU) to guide, monitor and follow-up on implementation issues; Supervise all procurement and disbursement activities related to the Bank’s energy sector projects in Ethiopia;
3. Undertake the supervision of the Bank’s portfolio of power sector investments, review of relevant monitoring, evaluation reports, and field inspections as necessary; and proffer measures for resolving material operational weaknesses.
4. Ensure timely procurement and disbursement of active power projects in the Bank’s portfolio, liaising with Government departments and project implementation units to address blockages in project execution, using the Bank Portfolio Dashboard as main monitoring tool.
C. Knowledge Production and Coordination
1. Contribute to the preparation of energy sector assessments and other upstream analytical and diagnostic work to inform Country Strategy Papers (CSP) ; provide support to country/regional departments on policy dialogue with RMCs relating to energy sector and related issues; and provide back-up to country offices to ensure provision of quality advisory service to RMCs ;
2. Contribute to the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on energy sector issues and other areas relevant to the Energy, Environment & Climate Change Department;
3. Represent the Bank in national and regional partnerships, networks, conferences, workshops, and training seminars on issues related to energy sector development and related issues;
4. Undertake any other tasks as assigned by the Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, or Electromechanical Engineering. Additional training in management and / or economics is an asset.
2. Demonstrate at least five (5) years of relevant professional experience and proven track record and analytical skills in the following areas: power sector strategy formulation; financing of energy projects; management and operation of power generation, transmission and distribution utilities; electrical system planning and design; preparation of bidding documents; project management; contract administration; costing of infrastructure projects; monitoring and supervision of work on the construction of major power plants, transmission and distribution infrastructure / electrical works
3. Demonstrable analytical skills in the following areas: power sector strategy formulation; financing of energy projects; management and operation of power generation, transmission and distribution utilities; electrical system planning and design; preparation of bidding documents; project management; contract administration; costing of infrastructure projects; monitoring and supervision of work on the construction of major power plants, transmission and distribution infrastructure / electrical works. Knowledge and understanding of project financing/ financial and economic appraisal would offer an advantage.
4. Experience in implementing projects with public sector institutions and / or bilateral and multilateral development finance institutions will give an added advantage for this position.
5. Proven ability to interact competently with the staff of government and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination, as well as with the private sector;
6. Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions; Capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change
7. Familiarity with project management and project identification procedures in Development Finance Institutions multilateral organizations, and preferably of the African Development Bank, an added advantage.
8. Good command of standard software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentations). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
9. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Good working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT. (INCUMBENTS OF THE POSITION WILL BE CONSIDERED AS LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL STATUS).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.