WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution. Its mission is to promote economic growth and social progress across the continent. The Bank has 80 member countries, including 54 African countries (regional member countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency in charge of Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for ensuring the operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group's operational activities and programmes. The Vice Presidency in charge of Regional Development will ensure that the Bank conducts its activities effectively in all its Regional Member Countries (RMCs) and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank's Regional Directorates.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s: ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager, Regional Power Operations, the power engineer will ensure the technical soundness of the Bank's activities in supporting transactions related to investments in the power sector. The incumbent will provide sector-specific expertise in the planning, development, structuring and financing of national and regional electrical systems, including power generation, transmission and distribution. The work accomplished will also contribute, as required, to the implementation of High-5 flagship programmes.
The power engineer is responsible for the following activities and related services:
1- Contribute to the preparation of Bank Group policies and intervention strategies in the field of energy;
2- Contribute to the development of national and regional strategy papers; undertake relevant studies and analyses;
3- Provide timely guidance needed to achieve project development outcomes;
4- Be part of the project cycle and ex-post review teams of Bank operations, with a particular focus on the energy sector in the region, including the governments of the region, other development partners and the stakeholders or partners concerned;
5- Provide the technical expertise required to design national and multinational projects that meet the needs of RMCs and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) according to their priorities and selectivity;
6- Represent the Bank in national and regional partnerships, networks, conferences, workshops and training seminars on issues related to energy sector development and related issues;
7- Establish interdepartmental cooperation within the Bank and partnerships with other similar institutions engaged in the development of the energy sector;
8- Undertake any other tasks assigned to him by the Director of the Department and/or Division manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or equivalent degree in Electrical Engineering or related disciplines;
2. Demonstrate at least five (5) years of professional experience in power project design and implementation, and sector analysis;
3. Experience in implementing projects with public-sector institutions and/or bilateral and multilateral development finance institutions would be an added advantage for this position.
4. Proven ability to interact competently with the government staff and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination, as well as with the private sector;
5. Demonstrate proven intellectual leadership and ability to integrate specific sector knowledge into an operational strategy and broader research objectives;
6. Demonstrate strong networking skills and good judgment in managing professional relationships with external partners working in Africa;
7. Have a sense of customer service to understand, and where appropriate, anticipate the needs of the client to ensure that they receive the best possible service from the Bank;
8. Ability to apply innovative approaches and change work methods while remaining effective in changing working conditions;
9. Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language;
10. Good command of standard software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentations). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.