WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’. The Complex is responsible for providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The Statistics Department (ECST) is responsible for the Bank’s statistical activities that focus on two main components: providing support for effective development of statistical capacity and systems in African countries for the provision of timely and reliable data to support development results measurement for the High 5s and Sustainable Development Goals agenda across Africa, mainstreaming results measurement in Bank operations to ensure their operational effectiveness as well as to support the Bank’s research, policy and financial services
As part of the Statistics Directorate, the Economics and Social Statistics Division (ECST1) ensures that Regional Member Countries provide the Bank with timely, reliable, consistent and regionally comparable data on economic and social activities (trade, industry, agriculture, finance, infrastructure, population, demography, poverty, education, health, Sustainable Development Goals' monitoring, etc.). Its principal activities are: to develop and manage statistical systems needed to support the operational work of the Bank Group and its development research activities; to prepare the Bank Group’s official statistical publications; and provide statistics and statistical analysis for the Bank Group’s Annual Report, the African Development Report and other important Bank’s publications.
The main objectives of this position are to assist the Statisticians of the Bank’s Statistics Department (ECST) in collecting, compiling, organizing and updating the socio-economic databases; disseminating the data on the AfDB Opendata Portal, and in the Bank Annual Report, the African Economic Outlook Report (AEO) and statistical publications; and in formulating statistical and forecast models relating to topical socio-economic issues.
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the Statistician the Statistical Assistant will:
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent in Statistics, in Quantitative Economics or a related field, with a good knowledge of quantitative and econometric methods;
2. Have minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working on macroeconomic indicators in a national or international research or development institution;
3. Communication, Problem Solving, Client Orientation, good relations and Team work;
4. Strong background in quantitative methods;
5. Proven experience in managing time series data;
6. Ability to develop and manage statistical information systems;
7. Ability to identify analysis biases (wrong data, outliers, data deviations ...) and cleanse the database;
8. Ability to synthesize the data collected and choose the most relevant modes of representation;
9. Ability to deliver according to strict deadlines;
10. Excellent spoken and written English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
11. Advanced knowledge of Excel and competence in the use of other Bank standard software applications (Word, Access and PowerPoint);
12. Competence knowledge of Database Management Systems (DBMS), Statistical software for analysis in statistics and econometrics (example: Stata, SPSS, SAS), particularly regarding forecasting techniques.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR DIRECT HRDIRECT@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.