WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater development impact, five priority areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank intends to form a management team that will lead the effective implementation of this vision.
The Bank has been reorganized and is in the process of establishing the Regional Development, Integration and Service Delivery Complex, whose main objective is to build regional capacity and devolve responsibility for the operations to the regions for the benefit of the clients. Five Regional Development, Integration and Service Delivery Platforms have been created, each led by a Director General. These are: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa and Central Africa.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Bank's various field offices fall under one of five (5) regional development, integration and service delivery platforms. The platform oversees a cluster of field and liaison offices, as well as countries where the Bank does not have offices. The Deputy Director General reports to the Director General on the activities of the region to which they are assigned. Each platform will host relevant operations, project implementation and business development functions and administrative capacity in a shared service for rapid deployment in different countries, to contribute to the Bank's effectiveness in the field.
The African Development Bank's country offices were created to strengthen the strategic dialogue between the Bank, governments and other stakeholders, to improve project portfolio performance and to coordinate aid with other development partners in Africa.
Under the supervision of the Country Office Manager, the incumbent will be in charge of all project management and loan administration activities related to transport infrastructure and urban development of the Bank Group's portfolio in Mali as defined in the country office functions and responsibilities, including the coordination of related programs with the Government, civil society and local bodies, the private sector and development partners.
The incumbent will, in particular:
1. Contribute to the preparation and evaluation of strategies and policies for the development of infrastructure sectors (transport, urban infrastructure, etc.);
2. Participate in the preparation of terms of reference and follow-up of studies relevant to the infrastructure sectors, contribute to the review of study reports and propose to the Bank actions to be taken ;
3. Participate in missions relating to the identification, preparation and evaluation of studies, infrastructure projects / programmes, urban development and reform support programmes in these sectors in support of the Bank's strategy and contribute to the writing and reviewing of reports;
4. Support heads of the executing agencies with advice and expertise on the issues, constraints and priorities of the aforementioned sectors, technical aspects of the projects and Bank rules and procedures, particularly with regard to the acquisition of property, works and services and disbursement procedures;
5. Apporter son expertise lors de l'examen des rapports d'évaluation des offres et mener l'évaluation des propositions techniques et financières pour les contrats liés à l'exécution des projets;
6. Follow up on recommendations made in the supervision, mid-term review, portfolio review and audit reports, with due attention to project monitoring / evaluation;
7. Contribute to strengthening coordination and dialogue with other donors on activities related to infrastructure projects / programs;
8. Represent the Bank in national conferences, seminars and workshops and participate in meetings and conferences dealing with issues related to the infrastructure sector;
9. Participate in meetings and conferences related to donor coordination, sector approaches, which will guide the Country Office Manager, Sector Division and Management on strategic issues in the infrastructure and urban development sector;
10. Contribute, with the structure in charge of monitoring public investments (DPSSI) in relation with the planning structures of the technical departments, to monitor and evaluate the impact of the projects on Mali's economic and social development;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least Master’s degree or its equivalent in Civil Engineering or Public Works;
2. Have a minimum of at least five (5) years of relevant work experience preferably in a development finance institution, a project executing agency, or a state agency responsible for implementing projects financed by international donors;
3. Capable of working under pressure and setting priorities within a dynamic framework of an international and multicultural environment. Ability to work and cooperate with people of diverse backgrounds;
4. Experience in supporting the private sector will be an additional asset;
5. Sound mastery of strategies aimed at achieving transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty; Good knowledge of key issues related to aid effectiveness, in particular, the harmonization of donor practices and their alignment with borrower systems;
6. Knowledge of COSTAB, HDM.4 and mastery of SAP will be an asset;
7. Capable of communicating effectively both in writing and orally in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
8. Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP or other ERP systems would be an asset
THIS POSITION DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.