In order to enhance good governance and transparency, the Bank has a Whistle-blowing and Complaints Handling Policy to provide an avenue for raising concerns related to prohibited practices and to protect whistleblowers from retaliation.
IACD is designated as the advocate for whistleblowers and is authorised to implement the Policy. IACD is responsible for undertaking investigations under the Policy.
A whistleblower is any party who, in good faith, conveys or is proven to be about to convey a concern, an allegation or any information indicating that a prohibited practices such as fraud or corruption is occurring or has occurred in the Bank or in a Bank-financed project.
IACD guarantees confidentiality of the identity of whistleblowers and complainants.
Retaliation is any act direct or indirect, recommended, threatened or taken against a whistleblower or a complainant because the whistleblower or the complainant has made a disclosure pursuant to the Policy. Retaliation shall not be permissible against any whistleblower or complainant. Retaliation includes:
As a matter of general deterrence, the Bank shall publicly inform Bank staff of the penalty imposed for misconduct arising from retaliation.
Employment remedies available to a whistleblower who has been subject of retaliation shall be determined by the President based upon the findings and recommendations of IACD.
- 22/08/2017 - Integrity in Development Projects: African Development Bank Debars Chongqing International Construction Corporation for Fraud
- 21/08/2017 - World Fashion Day: AfDB moving the continent up the textile and clothing value chain with Fashionomics Africa
- 19/08/2017 - AfDB President makes clarion call for action on challenges hampering growth at 37th SADC Heads of State Summit
- 19/08/2017 - Speech delivered by Akinwumi A. Adesina, President of the African Development Bank Group, at the 37th Summit of the Heads of State and Governments of the Southern Africa Development Community, August 19-20, 2017, Pretoria, South Africa
- 18/08/2017 - ALSF weighs in on Uganda’s oil refinery project
- 18/08/2017 - AfDB signs Host Country Agreement with South Africa establishing Southern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery Office