In order to enhance good governance and transparency, the Bank has a Whistle-blowing and Complaints Handling Policy to provide an avenue for raising concerns related to prohibited practices and to protect whistleblowers from retaliation.
IACD is designated as the advocate for whistleblowers and is authorised to implement the Policy. IACD is responsible for undertaking investigations under the Policy.
A whistleblower is any party who, in good faith, conveys or is proven to be about to convey a concern, an allegation or any information indicating that a prohibited practices such as fraud or corruption is occurring or has occurred in the Bank or in a Bank-financed project.
IACD guarantees confidentiality of the identity of whistleblowers and complainants.
Retaliation is any act direct or indirect, recommended, threatened or taken against a whistleblower or a complainant because the whistleblower or the complainant has made a disclosure pursuant to the Policy. Retaliation shall not be permissible against any whistleblower or complainant. Retaliation includes:
As a matter of general deterrence, the Bank shall publicly inform Bank staff of the penalty imposed for misconduct arising from retaliation.
Employment remedies available to a whistleblower who has been subject of retaliation shall be determined by the President based upon the findings and recommendations of IACD.
- 22/01/2018 - Africa’s progress depends on the creative energy of its youth, says Nobel Co-Laureate
- 19/01/2018 - Énergie au Mali : 12 500 nouveaux abonnés raccordés au réseau grâce à 28 millions de dollars de financement de la Banque africaine de développement
- 19/01/2018 - Nigeria makes formal request to host African Development Bank’s regional hub
- 19/01/2018 - “African Development Bank’s lifeline lifted Nigeria out of recession”: Buhari
- 18/01/2018 - Speech by Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, President of the African Development Bank, on the occasion of the commissioning of the Bank’s Purpose-Built Office Building by His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, January 18, 2018 in Abuja, Nigeria
- 18/01/2018 - USAID and the Association for the Development of Education in Africa launch Global Book Alliance workshop in Africa