- Mission & Strategy
- Contact Us
- Corporate Information
- Corporate Procurement
- Frequently asked questions
- Organisational Structure
- Administrative Tribunal
- Auditor General's Office
- Board of Directors
- Board of Governors
- Communication and External Relations
- Departments and Complexes
- Ethics Office
- General Counsel & Legal Services Department
- Independent Development Evaluation (IDEV)
- Independent Review Mechanism
- Infrastructure & Regional Integration
- Integrity and Anti-Corruption
- Strategy and Operational Policies Department (SNSP)
- The President
You are here
Election of the President of the African Development Bank
The African Development Bank operates under the leadership of the President, who serves as the legal representative of the Bank, the Chairperson of the Board of Directors, and the Chief of the Staff of the Bank. The President conducts the current business of the Bank, under the direction of the Board of Directors. The President is elected by the Board of Governors and serves a 5-year term, renewable once.
The Rules of Procedure Governing the Election of the President of the African Development Bank (Article 1), as amended, require that the Bank hold the election of the President during the Annual Meeting closest to the end of the term of office of the serving President. The current President assumed office on 1 September 2015, following his election in May 2015. Accordingly, his term of office will elapse on 31 August 2020. The elections for a new President will therefore take place during the 2020 Annual Meetings, scheduled to take place in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, from 25 to 29 May 2020.
By Resolution B/BG/2019/12, adopted by the Board of Governors on 12 June 2019, and subsequent follow-up action by Management, as authorized by the Board of Governors, the following are the timetable and procedure fixed for the election of the Office of President:
- Invitation from the Secretary General of the Bank to all Governors for the submission of candidatures – 1 July 2019.
- Closing date and time for the receipt of candidatures – 31 January 2020 no later than 5:00 p.m., Abidjan, local time.
- Settlement and publication of the list of duly registered candidates – 21 February 2020.
- Reminder to all candidates to submit a written statement of their vision of the Bank in both English and French, the two working languages of the Bank - 21 February 2020.
- Submission of a written statement of the candidate on his/her vision for the Bank - 20 March 2020, no later than 5:00 p.m., Abidjan, local time.
- Dialogue between Governors and each candidate - 27 May 2020, during the 2020 Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors.
- Election for the Office of President of the Bank – 28 May 2020, during the Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors.
- Each candidate for the Office of President of the Bank shall have the profile prescribed in Article 36 of the Bank Agreement, specifically, that he/she shall be a national of a regional member state and shall be a person of the highest competence in matters pertaining to the activities, management and administration of the Bank.
- Candidatures for the Office of President of the Bank shall be deposited by the Governor for the regional member State of which the candidate is a national with the Secretary General of the Bank, for transmittal to the Steering Committee of the Board of Governors. The candidature shall be presented by way of a letter from the Governor or by means of the attached Nomination Form duly completed and addressed to the Secretary General. The nomination shall be accompanied by a detailed curriculum vitae of the candidate.
- Candidatures shall be seconded by one or more Governor(s) of regional member State(s). Such secondment may be given by telefax or electronic mail, addressed to the Secretary General of the Bank, and confirmed by sending a letter or the duly completed Form for Seconding a Nomination, to the Secretary General.
- The list of candidates shall be transmitted to members of the Board of Governors on 21 February 2020, after verification by the Steering Committee of the Board of Governors, to ensure conformity with the criteria for eligibility set forth in Article 36 of the Bank Agreement and the conditions of candidature set forth under the Election Rules.
All correspondence regarding the election should be sent to the address below:
African Development Bank
01 BP 1387
Telefax: +225 20 32 10 70
All email inquiries regarding the process should be directed to email@example.com
Documents concerning the upcoming election of the President of the African Development Bank :
- A letter of invitation for the submission of candidature;
- Nomination form for the Office of President;
- Form for Seconding of a Nomination for the Office of President;
- Article 36 of the Agreement Establishing the African Development Bank, concerning the election of the President;
- The Rules of Procedures Governing the Election of the President of the Bank, as amended;
- Resolution B/BG/2019/12 relating to the Timetable and Procedure for the Election of the President of the African Development Bank.