AfDB Presidential Election
The African Development Bank operates under the leadership of the President, who serves as the legal representative of the Bank, the Chairperson of the Board of Directors, and the Chief of Staff of the Bank. The President conducts the current business of the Bank, under the direction of the Board of Directors. The President is elected by the Board of Governors and serves a 5-year term, renewable once.
President-elect, Akinwuma A. Adesina, a national of Nigeria, was elected in May 2015, and commenced his first term on 1 September 2015 in Abidjan.
The Rules of Procedure Governing the Election of the President of the African Development Bank (Article 1), as amended, require that the Bank hold the election of the President during the Annual Meeting closest to the end of the term of office of the serving President. Accordingly, the Board of Governors will be electing Dr. Kaberuka’s successor on 28 May 2015, during the Bank’s Annual Meeting, scheduled to take place in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, from 25 to 29 May 2015.
By Resolution B/BG/2014/06, adopted by the Board of Governors on 22 May 2014, and subsequent follow-up action by Management, as authorized by the Board of Governors, the following are the timetable and procedure fixed for the election for the Office of President:
- 1 July 2014 - Invitation from the Secretary General of the Bank to all Regional Member State (African) Governors for the submission of candidatures.
- 30 January 2015, no later than 5:00 p.m., Abidjan, local time - closing date and time for the receipt of candidatures.
- 10 – 12 February 2015 - meeting of the Steering Committee in Abidjan for the purpose of verifying and confirming candidatures.
- 20 February 2015 - settlement and publication of the list of duly registered candidates.
- 20 February 2015 - reminder to all candidates to submit statements of their vision for the Bank in both English and French, the two working languages of the Bank.
- 20 March 2015, no later than 5:00 p.m., Abidjan, local time - submission of a written statement by each candidate on her/his vision for the Bank in both English and French, the two working languages of the Bank.
- 27 May 2015, during the Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors - dialogue between candidates and members of the Board of Governors.
- 28 May 2015, during the Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors - Election for the Office of President of the Bank.
- Each candidate for the Office of President of the Bank shall have the profile prescribed in Article 36 of the Bank Agreement, specifically, that he/she shall be a national of a regional member state and shall be a person of the highest competence in matters pertaining to the activities, management and administration of the Bank.
- Candidatures for the Office of President of the Bank shall be deposited with the Secretary General of the Bank, for transmittal to the Steering Committee of the Board of Governors (the "Steering Committee"), by the Governor for the regional member State of which the candidate is a national. The candidature shall be presented by way of a letter from the Governor or by means of the attached Nomination Form duly completed and addressed to the Secretary General. The nomination shall be accompanied by a detailed curriculum vitae of the candidate.
- Candidatures shall be supported by one or more Governor(s) of regional member State(s). Such support may be given by telefax or electronic mail, addressed to the Secretary General of the Bank, and confirmed by sending a letter or the duly completed Form for Seconding a Nomination, to the Secretary General.
- The Steering Committee shall verify all candidatures to ensure conformity with the criteria for eligibility set forth in Article 36 of the Bank Agreement and the conditions of candidature set forth under the Election Rules. The Steering Committee shall then transmit the list of candidates to members of the Board of Governors on 20 February 2015.
All correspondence regarding the election should be sent to the address below:
Vice Presidency General Secretariat
African Development Bank
01 BP 1387
Telefax: +225 20 32 01 70
All email inquiries regarding the process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org