The African Development Bank (AfDB) and its partners, IITA, AAIN and CTA, are launching an AgriPreneurship Challenge to identify innovative solutions for the agriculture sector in Africa. The Challenge is in line with the objectives of the Feed Africa Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa and in particular with those of the ENABLE Youth Initiative to empower and employ young African men and women through agribusiness.
The expected outcome of the challenge is to select winning solutions that can lead to new products, programs, projects and processes by young Agripreneurs.
Areas of Focus
This call for proposals is open to individuals or teams who wish to submit innovative ideas in any of the following 3 areas of Agribusiness:
- Innovations in ICT for Agriculture and Agri-business;
- Agricultural production, storage, processing and distribution solutions; and
- Agricultural financing innovations.
- The Agripreneurship Challenge is open to all African Agripreneurs between the ages of 18 – 35.
- A short-list of 25 agripreneurs will be selected from the online submissions and will be invited to a pre-Forum boot camp for coaching and pitching on 23-24 April 2017 in Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Staff of the AfDB and its partner institutions are excluded from submitting proposals.
Registration and Submission Requirements
- Proposals should not exceed 1000 Words.
- The submission must be in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font.
- All cited information must be referenced.
- The submission should be in PDF or Microsoft Word format in English or French.
Structure of Proposals
- Title Page – Name (s) of contributors, Title of the proposal
- Problem formulation – which challenges, existing gaps, existing opportunities is the proposal addressing?
- Description of the solution.
- Unique positioning of the solution vis a vis similar solutions. What is the added value?
- Potential risks and challenges.
- Additional information.
Submission of the Proposal
- Click here to submit proposals.
- Use the following nomenclature for your submission <lastname_firstname_proposal title>.
- Deadline for Submission: 31st March 2017 at midnight GMT.
Applicants will be notified on 5th April 2017 about the selection of their proposals.
Value Proposition & Innovation Rationale
Sustainability and scaling-up
Professionalism and Presentation of the Proposal
Submission of Proposals
31st March 2017
Proposals Received by email
Notification of Selection and Invitation to Boot Camp
5th April 2017
Successful applicants will be notified of the short-listing of their proposal and invited to a pre-Forum boot-camp in Ibadan, Nigeria.
23rd – 24th April 2017
Coaching, pitching and awards in Ibadan, Nigeria.
African Youth Agripreneurs Forum
25th – 26th April 2017
AYA Forum in Ibadan, Nigeria
AfDB Annual Meetings
Award Ceremony – 3 top winners will be invited to the Annual Meetings of the African Development Bank in India where awards will be presented.