Women in Fragile States: From Passive Victims of Violence to Active Agents of Change
Date: Monday, May 24, 2010
Room: Hôtel Ivoire, Salle des Fêtes I
Time: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
News, Papers, Press Releases
- Dr. Donald KABERUKA, President, AfDB
- H.E.Ms. Ingrid FISKAA, State Secretary, The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- H.E. Mr. KAMITATU, Minister of Planning, Democratic Republic of Congo
- H.E. Mr. Sheku SESAY, Governor of the Central Bank of Sierra Leone
- Dr. Saran Daraba KABA, President, Mano River Women’s Peace-building Network
- Ms. Tumi MAKGABO, Owner, Tumi & Co. and former CNN International Anchor
This is an event that is jointly sponsored by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the African Development Bank.
The objective of the event is to initiate a dialogue on women’s role in the context of fragile states and to propose concrete actions that governments, the African Development Bank and other partners can take in order to empower women and increase women’s participation in conflict and in post-conflict situations. This will be specifically with reference to the UN Security Council Resolutions 1325 and 1889 on Women, Peace and Security, which are currently under a mid-term review. At this time of the tenth anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security, the discussion will focus on the particular needs and contributions of women in post-conflict situations. The debate will identify achievements and challenges for Africa, and propose recommendations to empower women and increase women’s participation in conflicts and in post-conflict situations.
Women in conflicts and post-conflict settings continue to be viewed as victims and not as vital contributors to lasting peace and sustainable growth. The continued marginalization of women has consequences for postconflict recovery and the achievement of durable peace, security and reconciliation. This seminar will propose concrete measures to increase women’s active participation in conflict resolution, post-conflict planning and peace building, based on the key role women can play in re-establishing the fabric of recovering societies as inputs to the on-going Mid Term Review of the UN Security Council Resolutions 1325 and 1889.
- Governors' Working Documents (restricted access)
- 2010 AM Press Kit
- 2010 AM Information Bulletin
- 2010 AM- Concept Notes - High Level & Thematic Seminars
- AfDB Group Annual Report 2009
- AfDB Group Annual Report in Brief 2009
- AfDB Group Financial Presentation - May 2010
- Newly Elected Executive Directors of the AfDB-28 May 2010
- 2010 Annual Meetings Participants List