- Official languages: Kiswahili and English
- Electricity: 230/240 V AC, Plugs 13 amps.
- Local time: GMT + 3
- Weather in May/June: Rainy season, temperatures between 14-20 degrees Celsius.
The city of Arusha is Tanzania’s safari capital located in the north of the country. It has a population of 427,185 (2005 est.). This city is located on a plateau amidst the Serengeti plains, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Tarangire National Park, and Mount Kilimanjaro. Arusha tends to be visited more by tourists as it is the gateway to the northern safari circuit. It is likely to be the start of your adventure to the famous national parks of Ngorongoro and Serengeti.
Temperatures in Arusha range from 13 degrees to 25 degrees Celsius between the wet and dry seasons. Due to Arusha's altitude, dry air is prevalent. Arusha experiences an eastern prevailing wind from the Indian Ocean, a couple of hundred miles east.
The curio markets of Arusha found between the Clock Tower and India Road are filled with high quality crafts which can be bought at much lower prices.
For more information about Arusha please contact the National Organizing Committee, which will be happy to assist:
- Email: email@example.com, Tel: +255 22 2137792, Mobile: +255754257121, Fax: +255221239249
- Jerome Buretta, Tel:+255 22 2137734, Mobile: +255754257121, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
- Jovin Johhanes, Tel:+255 22 2137734, Mobile: +255786434540, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joyce Momburi, Tel:+255 22 2137734, Mobile:+255784729166, Email: email@example.com
- Mukajungu Kamuzora, Tel: +255 22 2137792, Mobile: +255 713612172, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Neema Mkwizu, Tel: +255 22 2137792, Mobile: +255787343941, Email: email@example.com
The security situation in Tanzania is favourable, and Arusha is considered to be a peaceful city. Violent crime is rare, which makes Arusha a safe city for a stroll during the day as well as at night although walking in pairs always provides an added security measure. Participants should be alert to scam artists, purse snatchers and petty thieves who constitute the main security risk in Arusha. The number to dial in case of emergency is 112 from any phone.