You are here
Cameroon: Agriculture #FeedAfrica
Project name: Project to support the National Agricultural Research and Extension Programme
- Increase agricultural productivity (particularly in cocoa farming) by improving the performance of the National Agricultural Research Facility
- Promote competitive, sustainable and equitable agriculture and rural development in all the agro-ecological regions of the country
Previously, our parents used to grow a variety called tout-venant, but today, thanks to advances in research, we have access to improved seeds.
- Better research has improved seed nurseries allowing Cameroonian growers to have quality cocoa shoots for a quick and abundant harvest.
- Improved Institut de Recherche Agricole pour le Developpement (IRAD) technical research capabilities in terms of strengthening professional skills, material capacities.
- Stronger alignment of research objectives with local farmers’ problems and needs.
- Greater participation of women with an increase in the number of female researchers. For example, out of 27 lab technicians recruited, 78% are women, 30% of the 10 accountants are women and the 5 secretaries recruited are all women.