6 December 2011
Africa is lagging behind the rest of the world in seeking help to cut carbon emissions, despite being the continent that suffers the most from the harmful effects of climate change. That was one message that came across at the climate change conference, or COP 17, currently happening in Durban.
Everyone agrees green growth is a good thing. So why isn’t the whole world speeding along the low carbon route? Why are there so many red lights along the way?
The reason is that many low carbon projects are costly, beyond the reach of many if not most African governments. The private sector is not closing the gap. The reason is that investors are worried whether their money is safe.
- 9:00-11:00 Making Carbon Finance Work for Africa Panel of high level representatives from African countries, international organizations, including the World Bank, European countries and private sector organizations
- 9:00-18:15 High Level Meeting on the Future of Africa President Zuma of South Africa and Nobel Prize Winners
- 9:00-11:00 African Ministerial Conference on Water Water, Climate and Development
- 11:30-13:00 Implementation of Environment Action Plan Policies and institutions for climate change and environmental management
- 13:20-15:20 Roundtable Low Carbon Development and Energy Access for Africa
- 13:20-15:20 Roundtable Climate Change Vulnerability and Disaster Risk Reduction
- 16:45-18:15 Policy Advocacy and Resource Mobilization Eastern African Community Climate Change Fund -‐ current initiatives towards the green economy
- 16:45-17:45 Gender, Climate Change and the Power of Social Media in Climate
- 18:30-20:00 Private Sector Initiative of Nigeria Investment opportunities in climate change
- 18:30-20:00 Climate Diplomacy Climate Change, Stability and Human Security in Africa
- 18:30-20:00 Launch of the Mali Climate Fund
- 20:15-21:45 Adaptation Options towards Managing Climate Risks and Vulnerability Among Small Holders A Farmer-‐ Researcher Dialogue
- 20:15-21:45 Low Carbon Development, Carbon Finance, Agro-‐ Industries and Energy Access in Africa
- 20:15-21:45 Low Carbon Development and Energy Access for Africa Modeling for Sustainable Development
Africa pavilion events programme (2.2 MB)
Africa pavilion layout (0.9 MB)
Africa pavilion location map (1.0 MB)