- The country’s economic base continues to be narrow with the majority of people depending on livestock and fisheries.
- The small tax base and weak public financial management continue to cause serious constraints on the government budget, thus leaving the country almost totally dependent on foreign assistance and remittances.
- While the main obstacles to commerce, investment, and government revenue collection continue to be a lack of peace and security, the Somali National Army (SNA) has had success in recovering many areas that were under Al-Shabaab’s control.
|Area:||638,000 sq km|
|Total Population 2017:||11.4 Million|
|Urban Population 2017:||73.50%|
|Female Population 2017:||49.70%|
|GNI Per Capita 2015:||-|
|Crude Birth Rate (per 1000):||43.00%|
|Human Development Index (rank / 188):||0|
|Human Development Index (scale 0 to 1):||-|
|Cumulative Approvals (1967-2016):||UA 178.4 Million|
|P-SO-IZ0-008|| EMERGENCY HUMANITARIAN RELIEF ASSISTANCE TO THE VICTIMS OF THE DROUGHT ||ApprovedAPVD|
|P-SO-E00-002|| IMPROVING ACCESS TO WATER AND SANITATION IN RURAL SOMALIA ||ApprovedAPVD|
- 01/08/2017 - AfDB signs US$ 78 million grant agreements with Governments of Somalia and South Sudan to strengthen drought resilience and address chronic hunger and malnutrition
- 24/07/2017 - AfDB briefs Donors on its new strategy for Somalia and the status of the Multi-Partner Somalia Infrastructure Fund
- 02/06/2017 - Somalia - Donors commit to fill US$ 105 million infrastructure projects funding gap
The AfDB Group in East Africa (4.3 MB)
2013-2015 - Somalia - Country Brief (0.9 MB)