The African Development Bank and South Sudan have a history of cooperation which started after the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) in 2005. The then territory of Southern Sudan benefitted under the one country two systems approach and later after independence under the Cooperation Agreement signed with the Bank. The country was officially accepted as member of the African Development Bank in May 2012 and in September 2013 it ratified its membership.
- The drop in oil revenues is having a significant negative impact on the South Sudan’s economy; the level of GDP is estimated to have fallen by more than 5% in 2015, and the government net oil-revenue forecast for the 2015/16 fiscal year was only 17% of the previous year.
- The parties to the South Sudan civil conflict signed a Peace Agreement in August, although significant progress in its implementation has been slow.
- The humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate, with over 2.2 million people displaced by the continuing civil conflict as of November 2015.
|Area:||644,329 sq km|
|Total Population 2015:||11.3 Million|
|Urban Population 2015:||18.41%|
|Female Population 2015:||49.97%|
|GDP:||US$ 11.8 Billion|
|GNI Per Capita 2015:||US$ 790|
|Crude Birth Rate (per 1000):||36.13%|
|Human Development Index (rank / 187):||0|
|Human Development Index (scale 0 to 1):||-|
|Membership Date:||Under processing|
|Cumulative Approvals (1967-2015):||UA 34.9 Million|
|P-SS-KF0-002|| GOOD GOVERNANCE AND CAPACITY BUILDING FOR NATURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (GGCB-NRM) ||ApprovedAPVD|
|P-SS-KF0-003|| GENDER EQUALITY AND WOMEN’S ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT FOR INCLUSIVE GROWTH (AGEWEE-IG) ||ApprovedAPVD|
- 15/02/2017 - AfDB commits US $3.50 million to IGAD Regional Infrastructure Master Plan
- 02/02/2017 - AfDB Director General, East African Region, hands over keys to Bank-funded Customs office building in Juba, South Sudan
- 02/08/2016 - AfDB stands by South Sudan and approves €6-million grant for Resilient Water Project for Improved Livelihoods in Juba
South Sudan field office
African Development Bank Group
Ministries Road, UNDP Compound,
P.O. Box 622
Juba, South Sudan
Phone: (211) 956 450 033/(211) 955 007 777
Mr. Abraham MWENDA, Officer-in-charge, South Sudan field office