Belgium joined the African Development Fund in 1974 and the African Development Bank in 1983.
In terms of bilateral cooperation, Belgium actively supports the African Legal Support Facility. The most recent bilateral cooperation agreement, signed in 2000, and the associated technical assistance Trust Fund were closed and the balance of the contribution was transferred to the African Legal Support Facility in 2010. The Belgian development policy is based on several priorities: food security, education and training, governance, fragility and private sector development.
- 23/10/2017 - Princess Astrid of Belgium visits AfDB headquarters in Abidjan Wednesday
- 22/06/2016 - AfDB calls for new approaches to boost trade and create jobs
- 20/10/2014 - AfDB President receives the Development Champion Award and dedicates it to health workers fighting Ebola in West Africa
- 20/10/2014 - Kaberuka disappointed with international response, calls for African solidarity in fighting back Ebola
- 18/04/2014 - Addressing conflict and fragility in Africa: Leaders discuss empowerment, partnerships and accountability in Brussels meeting