France is a long-standing partner of the African Development Bank Group. It became a member of the African Development Fund in 1977 and a member of the African Development Bank in 1983. France has an ambitious development cooperation policy that is focused on infrastructure, regional integration and reduction of fragility. Climate change and renewable energy, food security, and gender are also at the forefront of its priorities. Africa is among the first recipients of French aid and France provides significant support to the Sahel region where it aims to maintain stability and reduce fragility and poverty.
France actively supports the African Legal Support Facility, and contributes to several initiatives hosted by the Bank, including the Migration and Development Fund, the African Water Facility, the Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Initiative, and the Secretariat of the «Making Finance Work for Africa». France also has a bilateral fund that can support technical assistance in many sectors.
In addition, it is seconding technical assistants in some Bank departments: the Infrastructure Consortium for Africa and the AWF. France implements huge aid programs through the Agence française de développement and Proparco, its private sector arm.
The Bank and AFD have a long-standing partnership that was re-boosted in November 2015 when the two institutions signed a co-financing agreement of EUR 1.5 billion. The agreement seeks to increase co-financing between the two institutions and to pool expertise to meet the ambitious roadmap toward the Sustainable Development Goals. The Bank and the AFD organize high-level seminars yearly, and deep-dive exercises where respective operational pipelines are carefully cross-screened.
- 04/05/2018 African Legal Support Facility promotes investments at the 2018 African Business Law Firms Association Conference
- 16/03/2018 African Development Bank and the International Solar Alliance team up to drive solar development in Africa
- 26/12/2017 France signs landmark US $ 253 million loan agreement to boost African Development Fund
- 04/09/2017 French President Macron appoints AfDB’s Vanessa Moungar to new Presidential Council for Africa
- 14/01/2017 Africa/France Summit: AfDB President urges action to finance Africa's economic transformation