The partnership between India and the African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is marked by a long history of coo-peration spanning over 30 years when India became a member of the African Development Fund (ADF) in 1982 and of the African Development Bank (AfDB) in 1983.
India’s collaboration with the Bank Group is articulated around three main pillars: ADF replenishment, bilateral trust fund, and co-financing arrangements, in addition to the provision of resources for the implementation of the Multila-teral Debt Relief Initiative (MDRI).
To enhance the development of private sector in Africa, the Export-Import Bank of India has sponsored several AfDB business opportunity seminars in India.
In May 2015, India and the AfDB signed a new Trust Fund for INR 600 million (US $9.5 million). Priority areas include: the provision of technical assistance in infrastructure and railway development; information and communications technology; science, technology and non-conventional energy; and knowledge-sharing of India’s development ex-perience. Under the Trust Fund, India is interested in sharing its expertise in the implementation of the public-private partnership (PPP) model in Africa.
In 2015, the India Exim Bank established the Mauritius-based Kukuza Project Development Company in 2015, in partnership with the African Development Bank, the State Bank of India and Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Ser-vices Ltd. The facility will help develop a pipeline of bankable infrastructure projects in Africa.
In 2017, AfDB participated in the India-Africa Project Partnership Conclave, which was held in New Delhi, hosted by the Export-Import Bank of India, the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), and the Government of India.
Ms. Karin Isaksson
Mr. Christian FOUGNER
Ms. Belinda CHESIRE
Principal Cooperation Officer
Resource Mobilization & Partnerships Department
- 16/03/2018 - African Development Bank and the International Solar Alliance team up to drive solar development in Africa
- 07/06/2017 - AfDB to work with African Central Banks to increase national savings
- 06/06/2017 - Political will needed to drive Africa’s agricultural transformation, debate hears
- 31/05/2017 - Africa-India Partnerships: E-governance identified as a key enabler of Africa’s transformation
- 30/05/2017 - Closing infrastructure gap in Africa a key catalyst for investment, says G20