Switzerland, a strong supporter of the Bank, became a member of the African Development Fund and the African Development Bank in 1973 and in 1982 respectively. As part of its development agenda, Switzerland has pledged to focus strongly on fragile states and conﬂict contexts, reducing poverty, promoting human development, supporting rural development, and good governance. Switzerland is supporting the Bank to implement its strategy with a particular emphasis on:
- Increased impact in countries with fragile situations
- Improved Development Effectiveness and Management for Results
- Gender Equality in Development
- Improved Governance, including in natural resources management
- Climate and Green Growth
- Impact of private sector operations on poverty reduction and development.
Collaboration between the Bank and Switzerland is mainly through the Swiss Agency for Development and Co-operation and the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs. The Bank signed two Technical Cooperation Agreements with the Swiss Agency for Development and Co-operation in 1977 and 1988, respectively. An Exchange of Letters was also signed in 1995. Further, under the Swiss Technical Cooperation Fund, grant resources have been provided to support consultancy services related to feasibility studies, project appraisal, supervision, training, and institutional support to the Bank. Eligible sectors include agriculture, environment, water supply and sanitation, health, private sector development and governance. Switzerland is an active supporter of the Governance Trust Fund and the Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Initiative Trust Fund, which are managed by the Bank. The Swiss Agency for Development and Co-operation has also provided technical assistance to the Bank by providing experts to its water department and to the department responsible for coordinating transition states.
- 19/10/2017 - AfDB and OpenOil launch report on how African governments manage extractive resources
- 20/03/2017 - Speech of Dr. Akinwumi A. Adesina, President of the African Development Bank, delivered by Vice-President Pierre Guislain at the Africa CEO Forum
- 21/01/2016 - AfDB presents New Deal on Energy for Africa and the Transformative Partnership on Energy in Davos
- 20/03/2015 - Africa CEO Forum 2015 : La BAD encourage de véritables réformes pour un environnement des affaires incitatif
- 18/03/2015 - Donald Kaberuka receives Lifetime Achievement Award at Africa CEO Forum in Geneva