Cooperation between the African Development Bank) and Botswana dates back to 1972. As of October 2012, the Bank had financed 50 operations (41 loan projects, seven institutional support operations, and two studies) valued at approximately US $2.1 billion. Bank-funded projects are primarily in the areas of infrastructure (power, transport, water and sanitation, communication), agriculture, finance and multi-sector.
- The pace of economic growth has slowed reflecting weak demand for mineral exports and a gloomy outlook for the global economy.
- Growth prospects look promising, but the weak pickup in global growth, subdued commodity prices and persistent electricity supply problems pose substantial downside risks.
- The country has experienced a rapid pace of urbanisation which has been associated with some environmental harm and is straining urban areas’ capacity to provide jobs, infrastructure and other essential amenities.
|Area:||582,000 sq km|
|Total Population 2017:||2.3 Million|
|Urban Population 2017:||73.50%|
|Female Population 2017:||49.70%|
|GDP:||US$ 11.5 Billion|
|GNI Per Capita 2015:||US$ 6,510|
|Crude Birth Rate (per 1000):||23.60%|
|Human Development Index (rank / 188):||108|
|Human Development Index (scale 0 to 1):||0.698|
|Cumulative Approvals (1967-2016):||UA 1.6 Billion|
|P-BW-HB0-004|| MIC TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE GRANT TO BOTSWANA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION ||ApprovedAPVD|
|P-BW-HB0-003|| LINE OF CREDIT TO BOTSWANA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION ||ApprovedAPVD|
- 14/02/2017 - The AWF and NEPAD-IPPF Foster Climate Resilient Water Resources Development in Southern Africa
- 29/11/2016 - The African Water Facility promotes sustainable growth through climate resilient water resources development in Southern Africa
- 28/04/2016 - AfDB supports Botswana’s economic diversification programme
African Development Bank Group
339 Witch-Hazel Avenue
Highveld Ext. 78
Centurion, South Africa
Tel: +27 12 003 6900
Ms. Tonia KANDIERO, Director General