- GDP growth declined from 1.5% in 2014 to 1.3% in 2015, and is expected to weaken further to 0.7% in 2016. Electricity shortages, low commodity prices and low consumer and business confidence continue to restrain the growth of economic activity.
- Slow progress in delivering economic and social services in townships and rural areas remains one of the major challenges to government.
- South African cities are dynamic poles of socio-economic activity facing high inequality and environmental risks.
|Area:||1,221,000 sq km|
|Total Population 2015:||52.8 Million|
|Urban Population 2015:||62.88%|
|Female Population 2015:||51.46%|
|GDP:||US$ 335.4 Billion|
|GNI Per Capita 2015:||US$ 7,610|
|Crude Birth Rate (per 1000):||20.85%|
|Human Development Index (rank / 187):||121|
|Human Development Index (scale 0 to 1):||0.629|
|Cumulative Approvals (1967-2015):||UA 4.3 Billion|
|P-ZA-HB0-003|| HOUSING INVESTMENT PARTNERS TRUST - HIP2 ||ApprovedAPVD|
|P-ZA-KA0-002|| SOUTH AFRICA MUNICIPAL PFM TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT ||ApprovedAPVD|
- 25/04/2017 - AfDB assesses results of US$ 5 billion investment in South Africa
- 09/03/2017 - 200 movers and shakers join forces at Southern African conference to boost Jobs for Youth in Africa (JfYA) Strategy implementation
- 20/02/2017 - AfDB engages governments and policy-makers at Investing in African Mining Indaba
African Development Bank Group
339 Witch-Hazel Avenue
Highveld Ext. 78
Centurion, South Africa
Tel: +27 12 003 6900
Ms. Tonia KANDIERO, Director General