- GDP growth declined from 1.5% in 2014 to 1.3% in 2015, and is expected to weaken further to 0.7% in 2016. Electricity shortages, low commodity prices and low consumer and business confidence continue to restrain the growth of economic activity.
- Slow progress in delivering economic and social services in townships and rural areas remains one of the major challenges to government.
- South African cities are dynamic poles of socio-economic activity facing high inequality and environmental risks.
|Area:||1,221,000 sq km|
|Total Population 2017:||55.4 Million|
|Urban Population 2017:||73.50%|
|Female Population 2017:||49.70%|
|GDP:||US$ 276.1 Billion|
|GNI Per Capita 2015:||US$ 6,050|
|Crude Birth Rate (per 1000):||19.90%|
|Human Development Index (rank / 188):||119|
|Human Development Index (scale 0 to 1):||0.666|
|Cumulative Approvals (1967-2016):||UA 4.3 Billion|
|P-ZA-HB0-003|| HOUSING INVESTMENT PARTNERS TRUST - HIP2 ||ApprovedAPVD|
|P-ZA-KA0-002|| SOUTH AFRICA MUNICIPAL FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT ||ApprovedAPVD|
- 19/08/2017 - AfDB President makes clarion call for action on challenges hampering growth at 37th SADC Heads of State Summit
- 19/08/2017 - Speech delivered by Akinwumi A. Adesina, President of the African Development Bank Group, at the 37th Summit of the Heads of State and Governments of the Southern Africa Development Community, August 19-20, 2017, Pretoria, South Africa
- 18/08/2017 - AfDB signs Host Country Agreement with South Africa establishing Southern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery Office