Cooperation between the African Development Bank and Benin dates back to 1972. Financing provided by the Bank since that date amounts to UA 709 million, corresponding nearly to FCFA 550 billion, and covering several areas. The Bank’s investments in this country are as follows: transport, 27.8 per cent; agriculture, 26.3 per cent; multi-sector, 18.8 per cent; social sector, 15.8 per cent, electricity, water, sanitation and communication, 10.5 per cent; finance 0.5 per cent and industry 0.3 per cent.
- The economy slowed down to an estimated 4.0% from 5.2% in 2015 mainly due to electoral activity and lower growth in neighbouring Nigeria.
- Growth is projected to pick up in 2017 to 5.5% and 6.2% in 2018 with the start of the government’s 2016-21 action programme, which aims to double investment over the period.
- Supporting entrepreneurship for processing agricultural products and transitioning towards the formal sector can particularly help to industrialise the economy and ensure sustainable and more inclusive growth.
|Area:||112,620 sq km|
|Total Population 2017:||11.5 Million|
|Urban Population 2017:||73.50%|
|Female Population 2017:||49.70%|
|GDP:||US$ 10.4 Billion|
|GNI Per Capita 2015:||US$ 860|
|Crude Birth Rate (per 1000):||34.80%|
|Human Development Index (rank / 188):||167|
|Human Development Index (scale 0 to 1):||0.485|
|Cumulative Approvals (1967-2016):||UA 708.1 Million|
|P-GA-C00-001|| APPUI TECHNIQUE AU PROGRAMME NATIONAL D’EVALUATION ENVIRONNEMENTALE DES SITES INDUSTRIELS ET DES S ||ApprovedAPVD|
|P-MG-CZ0-002|| PROJET D’AMELIORATION DE L’EFFICACITE POUR LA REDUCTION DES RISQUES DE CATASTROPHES ||ApprovedAPVD|
- 29/11/2017 - The African Development Bank and the European Commission Ink Agreements to Co-Finance Road Projects in West Africa
- 28/11/2017 - ALSF Management Board reviews Facility’s activities and future programs
- 11/10/2017 - Benin: AfDB supports inclusive growth through agricultural value chains and infrastructure development
West Africa Region
Mr. M. Janvier LITSE, Director West Africa Region
African Development Bank Group
24ème Etage, Immeuble CCIA, Plateau
01 Boite Postale 1387 Abidjan 01
TEL. : (+225) 20 26 40 47