You are here

Côte d'Ivoire - Project for the construction and operation of a technical landfill centre in Kossihouen for the disposal of household and similar solid waste in the Abidjan Autonomous District (DAA) - Esia Summary

25-Jun-2019

Waste management in Côte d’Ivoire, especially in Abidjan District, is a serious health and sanitation problem because of the rapid increase in its population from 125,000 in 1955 to about 4,395,000 inhabitants according to the most recent census.  The annual population growth rate is about 4%, which puts additional pressure on services, in particular, sanitation services. Only about   75% of waste is collected in Abidjan and disposed of in a landfill site. The remaining 25% remains uncollected, which creates unsanitary conditions in the city of Abidjan. In 2007, the Ministry of   Health and Public Hygiene which was responsible for household waste management was tasked with proposing a landfill site which would not have any impact on the groundwater reserves that   supply the city of Abidjan with drinking water. In 2002, the government of Côte d'Ivoire defined its National Waste Management Strategy and implemented the National Sustainable Waste Management Programme during which this TLC construction project was launched. Considered a as an activity presenting real environmental and human health risks, it was the subject of an ESIA   in accordance with Ivorian regulations in 2007 which was updated in 2018 at AfDB’s request. The study assessed the consequences arising from the project’s implementation in order to propose solutions aimed at mitigating the negative environmental and social impacts, optimising the positive environmental and social impacts and allowing project stakeholders to decide upon its continuation or suspension.

Related Sections