You are here
1996-2004 - Ghana - Country Assistance Evaluation
OPEV’s Ghana Country Assistance Evaluation (CAE) assessed the Bank’s assistance to Ghana between 1996 and 2004, and examined three Country Strategy Papers (CSPs). Under the three CSPs, the Bank committed UA376.5 million for 36 operations in Ghana. Loans represented 92 per cent of Bank commitments, while the remaining 8 per cent represented ADF grants. The Bank’s share of aid to Ghana was less than 3 per cent of total annual assistance received by the country in any given year between 1996 and 2004. The Bank’s contribution to Ghana was relatively small, but significant nonetheless. The objective of the Ghana CAE was to assess the development effectiveness of the Bank’s intervention by evaluating the contribution of the Bank’s assistance towards meeting the expected outcomes in the Ghanaian Government’s Strategic Document, the Ghana Poverty Reduction Strategy, and progress toward achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The evaluation examined the objectives of the CSPs to establish their relevance to the development issues facing Ghana and the loans used to realize the Bank’s objectives with special attention to efficiency issues. The Bank’s non-lending services (analytical and advisory) were also assessed. The CAE drew relevant lessons from experience over the period to strengthen future Bank policies and procedures, and to improve the overall quality of future Bank operations.