African Development Report 2015
Despite earlier periods of limited growth, African economies have grown substantially over the past decade. However, poverty and inequality reduction has remained less responsive to growth successes across the continent. How does growth affect poverty and inequality? How can Africa overcome contemporary and future sustainable development challenges?
This 2015 edition of the African Development Report (ADR) offers analysis, synthesis and recommendations that are relevant to these questions.
The year 2015 marked the conclusion of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and the adoption of a new global development agenda. This is an opportune moment for African countries to reflect on their devel-opment record, to assess what has worked well and where we can do better on eradicating poverty...
The African Development Report 2015 (ADR2015) was prepared by staff from the African Development Bank Group, under the overall guidance of Steve Kayizzi-Mugerwa (Former acting Chief Economist and Vice President - ECON) and Abebe Shimeles (Ag. Director, Development and Research Department)...
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Africa’s recent growth has been widespread and persistent
- Chapter 2: Poverty has declined in Africa, but remains high
- Chapter 3: High inequality undermined the efficacy of growth in reducing poverty
- Chapter 4: Gender inequality: A double break on poverty reduction
- Chapter 5: Africa’s youth in the labour market
- Chapter 6: Structural transformation, agriculture and Africa’s development
- Chapter 7: Eliminating extreme poverty: progress to date and future priorities
- Chapter 8: The way forward to achieving sustainable development in Africa
- 31/05/2016 - AfDB, Malawi ink US $1-million humanitarian assistance grant agreement
- 27/05/2016 - Goodbye, Lusaka; on to Ahmedabad: Curtain falls on AfDB’s 2016 Annual Meetings
- 27/05/2016 - African Risk Capacity and AfDB sign MOU to enable African countries to respond to extreme weather events and natural disasters
- 27/05/2016 - Africa, “Workshop of the World”: Manufacturing strategies to unleash a continent
- 27/05/2016 - African Legal Support Facility launch energy project financing resource handbook
Nadège Désirée Yaméogo,
Senior Research Economist