Chapter 7: Eliminating extreme poverty: progress to date and future priorities
- Africa has made significant progress towards the MDGs, but this progress masks substantial variation among countries. Aggregating and reporting development outcomes at the level of the continent can be misrepresentative of country-level achievements in just the same way that country-level achievements may not reflect achievements in different parts of the country.
- Under “business as usual”, extreme poverty may not be eradicated in Africa by 2030, but it can be brought down to low levels.
- To eliminate extreme poverty, African countries will have to achieve growth of 5% per year on average on a per capita basis over the next 10-15 years. Growth accompanied by appropriate re-distribution policies including social protection programmes could accelerate the pace of poverty reduction.
African Development Report 2015 - Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Africa’s recent growth has been widespread and persistent
- Chapter 2: Poverty has declined in Africa, but remains high
- Chapter 3: High inequality undermined the efficacy of growth in reducing poverty
- Chapter 4: Gender inequality: A double break on poverty reduction
- Chapter 5: Africa’s youth in the labour market
- Chapter 6: Structural transformation, agriculture and Africa’s development
- Chapter 7: Eliminating extreme poverty: progress to date and future priorities
- Chapter 8: The way forward to achieving sustainable development in Africa
- 31/05/2016 - AfDB, Malawi ink US $1-million humanitarian assistance grant agreement
- 27/05/2016 - Goodbye, Lusaka; on to Ahmedabad: Curtain falls on AfDB’s 2016 Annual Meetings
- 27/05/2016 - African Risk Capacity and AfDB sign MOU to enable African countries to respond to extreme weather events and natural disasters
- 27/05/2016 - Africa, “Workshop of the World”: Manufacturing strategies to unleash a continent
- 27/05/2016 - African Legal Support Facility launch energy project financing resource handbook
Nadège Désirée Yaméogo,
Senior Research Economist