The Africa Information Highway (AIH) was developed by the Statistics Department of AfDB as part of the Bank’s statistical capacity building program (SCB) in Africa. AIH is a mega network of live open data platforms (ODPs) electronically linking all African countries and 16 regional organizations. The overall objective is to significantly increase public access to official and other statistics across Africa, while at the same time supporting African countries to improve data quality, management, and dissemination.
The AIH responds to the decision of the African Union Summit of 2012 which called upon the AfDB, African Union Commission and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa to help African countries develop more effective data management & dissemination systems to inform national development policies and strategies.
The Bank launched the AIH that same year to support members under the AfDB's ongoing Statistical Capacity Building Program. The Bank hosts the ODPs and makes funding and training available for improvement and maintenance.
Since launching AIH, the Bank has expanded to the system to include a variety of topically-specific portals—energy, climate change, infrastructure, health, among others— thus ensuring a one single-stop center for capturing and sharing development data on Africa. The expansion program has included a notable addition of the SDGs Data Hubs to facilitate monitoring of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development across Africa. It also includes a new portal system for meeting the Bank’s own data needs for monitoring the development impact of its interventions in African countries; and to ensure that these are in line with its High 5s transformation agenda for Africa for the period 2015-2025.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com
- 18/08/2015 - AfDB’s Africa Information Highway selected as one of the most innovative data initiatives in the world
- 26/02/2014 - AfDB officially unveils its Africa Information Highway platform in South Africa
- 21/02/2014 - AfDB’s Africa Information Highway: The continent’s first “one-stop centre” for development data
- 12/02/2014 - 9th African Symposium on Statistical Development
- 11/07/2013 - The AfDB’s Open Data Platform achieves continent-wide coverage
- 22/05/2013 - AfDB Launches New Information Highways
- 13/03/2013 - Africa’s Information Highway - The AfDB Launches Open Data Platforms for 20 African Countries
- 19/02/2013 - The AfDB is Launching Africa’s Information Highway
- 16/12/2011 - AfDB promotes statistical development with the launch of the Open Data for Africa platform