ADF Approves US$ 4, 44 million Grant for Decentralization Project in Niger

Share |

Tunis, 29 November 2006 – The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional window of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group, on Wednesday in Tunis a approved a  grant of UA 3.0 million, equivalent to US$ 4.44 million to finance a decentralization support project in the country.

The project aims at helping the country re-launch its reform implementation programme through the improvement of the institutional and regulatory framework, devolving powers from the supervisory authority to decentralized entities and building capacities in communes and other actors involved in the decentralization. Globally, the project is to promote local governance and grassroots development in order to enable Niger to effectively fight against poverty within the framework of its Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS).

The project comprises the following three components:

  • Improvement of the institutional and regulatory framework for decentralization and support to ownership of the reform by the population ;
  • Building capacities of the supervisory authority and decentralized entities, and reducing factors of resistance to reform implementation ;
  • Supporting project management.

Among many other benefits, the decentralization support project will ensure that many women are recruited in 50 communes which will benefit directly from ADF financing.

Furthermore, the project will ensure that women’s needs (water supply, education of the girl child, food production support, improvement of housing, etc.) are taken into consideration in the 50 communal development plans to be funded by the ADF grant.

It will also encourage the communes to set up contract-based links with women’s organizations for the management of some activities and/or municipal enterprises (management of water, markets, road network, etc.) Lastly, the project will contribute to building capacities among women and their organizations through their effective participation in various training sessions on decongestion and decentralization of the  services, including the courts and NGOs, among others.

The government embarked on a decentralization and local governance promotion process in April 2002, in order to render the implementation of the Poverty Reduction Strategy more coherent and efficient by unleashing grassroots energies and mobilizing local resources.

The total cost of the project is estimated at UA 3.43 million. The ADF grant will finance 87.40% of the total project cost. The remaining 12.60% will be borne by the government of Niger.

The Bank Group commenced operations in Niger in 1970 and to date has approved 61operations with a total commitment of  US$ 476.7 million.

Project Information Sheet

  • Project Title: Decentralization Support Project
  • Project Location: Countrywide
  • Executing agency: High Commission for Modernization of the State  (Haut Commissariat à la Modernisation de l’Etat)
    (HCME): BP: 12 900 Niamey Tel: (227) 20 73 54 67 - E-mail:
  • Estimated start up Date: February 2007
  • Duration: 24 months

 * 1 UA = 1.48004 US$ at 15/11/2006


Mansour Ndir Phone: +216 71 10 31 95
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.