ADF Provides Grant for Control of HIV/AIDS in SADC Countries

Share |

Tunis 31 May, 2006 – The campaign to contain the spread of communicable diseases such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) has received a major boost from the African Development Bank (ADB) Group.

The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional loan window of the ADB Group on Wednesday approved a grant of 20 million Units of Accounts (UA*) equivalent to US$29.42 million, finance the control of communicable diseases (HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria) in the sub-region.

The project will be implemented across eight SADC-members states eligible for ADF support: Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The project is intended to foster regional integration through harmonized control of the communicable diseases in Southern Africa.  It is expected to help in the attainment of an acceptable standard of health for all citizens within the objective of "Health for All" by 2020 in all the SADC member states.

The project outputs include:

  • Improved capacity to harmonize policies, protocols and guidelines for the control of communicable diseases by the SADC secretariat;
  • Increased capacity to implement harmonized policies protocols and guidelines in SADC Member States;
  • An effective regional communicable disease surveillance system;
  • Improved and sustainable availability of essential medicines;
  • Scaling up of Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) best practices in member states.

The total cost of the project is estimated at UA 22.226 million (about US$ 32.70 million).

The ADF grant will finance technical assistance, equipment, office furniture, consultancies, training and recurrent costs, drugs as well as the cost of producing various project publications to the tune of 90.0% of total costs. SADC financing of the remaining 10.0% will involve operating costs, office space and local transportation.

* 1 UA = 1.47106 $US as at 01/05/2006


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.