You are here
ADF Supports the Nile Basin Initiative to strengthen the Water Sector in Member Countries
To support this Initiative, the African Development Fund (ADF) on 6 October 2004 inTunis, approved a grant amounting to 2.10 million Units of Account (UA), equivalent to 3.108 million US dollars which will be used to finance the Water Resources Planning and Management Project. The project will enable the NBI, in addition to the formulation of water policy, to undertake the following activities:
- Water Resources Planning and Management;
- Preparation of a computer based Decision Support System (DSS);
- Regional coordination and Facilitation.
The Water Resources Planning and Management Project is one of eight basin-wide projects under the Shared Vision Program (SVP) of the Nile Basin Initiative (NBI). The NBI is a partnership initiated and led by the riparian states of the NileRiver through the Council of Ministers of Water Affairs of the NileBasin states (Nile Council of Ministers, or Nile-COM).
The Water Resources Planning and Management Project addresses the fundamental need for strengthening capacity and developing tools so that the Nile Basin countries can attain an equal level of capability for integrated water resources planning and management.
The project aims at furthering cooperation amongst the Nile countries and making informed decisions at national and regional levels on the basis of enhanced capacity in policy and strategic planning, strengthened institutional capacity, availability of common integrated water resource management tools, and improved mechanisms for sharing information.
The Water Resources Planning and Management Project is an important part of the strategy of the governments of the Nile countries towards ensuring that the NileBasin water resources are developed and managed in an equitable, optimal, integrated, and sustainable manner to support socio-economic development in the region and improve the standard of living of their population.
Project Information Sheet
- Name of Project: Water Resources Planning and Management Project
- Implementation Zone:NileBasin
- Beneficiaries:EightNileBasin Initiative (NBI) Countries: Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda
- Probable start-up date and duration: 2004, 72 months
- Procurement of Consultancy Services: Shortlisting and call for proposals from Consulting firms and individuals from member countries of Bank Group State participants to provide consultancy services in the areas of Project planning and management, project monitoring and evaluation and Information technology.
- Executing Agency: NBI Secretariat (Nile-SEC), Entebbe, Uganda, Tel.: (256) 41 321 424, Fax. (256) 41 320 971
Martin Kakra-Kouame Phone: +216 71 10 23 96