AfDB Establishes High Level Advisory Panel
Tunis, 11 October 2006-The African Development Bank (AfDB) Group announced the establishment of a High Level Panel of eminent personalities to advise the Bank on its strategic vision. The Panel will be co-chaired by former President Joachim Chissano of Mozambique and former Prime Minister of Canada, Paul Martin.
The Panel, which is independent, will consult widely with stakeholders and is expected to produce an interim Report at the Bank’s Annual Meetings in May 2007. Members of the High Level Panel include top national and international personalities in the academic, business, and development communities.
Bank Group President Donald Kaberuka said: "I would like to express my appreciation to the distinguished co-chairs, President Chissano and Prime Minister Martin, and the other personalities who have agreed to participate in the work of the Panel, despite many other pressing demands on their time. The Bank is extremely grateful to them. I have not doubt that their ideas and recommendations will be of great importance in the evolving vision of the Bank to better serve Africa, in the light of fundamental changes taking place in the world economy and in Africa and the need for the Bank to reposition itself."
The Panel includes:
- H.E. Joachim CHISSANO, former President of Mozambique
- H.E. Paul MARTIN, former Prime Minister of Canada
Members of the Panel:
- Professor Chedly AYARI, former President of the Arab Bank for Development in Africa
- Mr. Soumaila CISSE, President of the Economic and Monetary Union of Western African States and former Minister of Finance of Mali
- Mr. François-Xavier DE DONNEA, former Development Cooperation Minister of Belgium
- Sir Timothy LANKESTER, President of Corpus Christi, Oxford University
- Mr. E. Tumusiime MUTEBILE, Governor of the Central Bank of Uganda
- Professor Wiseman NHKULU, former Chief Executive Officer, NEPAD Secretariat and Economic Adviser to the President of South Africa
- Mr. Poul NIELSON, Former EU Commissioner for Development, former Development Cooperation Minister for Denmark
- Dr. Ndi Onyiuke OKEREKE, Chief Executive, Nigeria Stock Exchange
- Dr. Judith RODIN, President of the Rockefeller Foundation
- Mr. Jean-Michel SEVERINO, Director General – Agence Française de Développement
- Professor Joseph STIGLITZ, Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics, University Professor, Columbia University.
- Mr. Morisho YUMA, former Secretary General of the ADB.
External Relations and Communication Unit – Tel.: +216 71 10 29 16 – Fax: +216 71 10 37 52 – E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org