The 2019 Annual Meetings of the African Development Bank Group will be held from 11-14 June 2019, in Malabo, Republic of Equatorial Guinea. Find out more

AfDB Group Funds AIDS Campaign in Lake Chad Basin

Share |

Tunis, 26 October 2005 – The African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional window of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group, has approved a grant of 10 million Units of Account* (US$ 14.5 million) to finance a project in support of the Lake Chad Basin Initiative to Reduce vulnerability to and risks of sexually transmitted diseases, Human Immuno-Deficiency Virus and AIDS (STI/HIV/AIDS).

The objective of the project is to reduce the vulnerability of, and risks related to STIs/HIV/AIDS among communities living around Lake Chad. This will be attained by building the capacities of care systems for the management of STIs/HIV/AIDS and through the reduction of risky sexual behaviour among migrants and populations interacting with them in the 5 countries of the Lake Chad Basin. The project will also strengthen the capacities of communities concerned to participate in STIs/HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support activities.

The expected project outcomes are:

-  The reduction of mother-to-child transmission,

-  Improved management of STIs,

-  Increased voluntary counselling and testing among the general population,

-  Improvement of  care and support to HIV-infected persons,

-  Increased use of male and female condoms during sexual intercourse with casual partners.

Furthermore, the project will ensure that:

-  The Chad Basin Commission campaigns are conducted and cover a large number of target populations,

-  The situation of HIV infection and the determinants of the epidemic are better known,

-  Capacities of local associations are developed,

-  Local authorities actively participate in AIDS control and that regional coordination is promoted and carried out by a sub-regional representative of member states of the initiative.

The Regions covered by the project will be Diffa in Niger, Maiduguri in Nigeria, Kousseri in Cameroon, Bol in Chad and Bossangoa in Central African Republic. These are areas characterized by a population on the move (refugees, traders, herdsmen, fishermen, canoe men, soldiers and free women). Lake Chad, the frontier of four countries, is an informal free trade area for the people of the entire sub-Saharan region and has many islands several of which are inhabited.

The main beneficiaries of the project will be the inhabitants of the lake and its surrounding regions (migrant and sedentary populations) and communities and refugees in the Central African Republic.

The total cost of the project is estimated at UA 11.11 million, equivalent to US$ 16 million. The ADF grant will finance 90% of the costs while the Lake Chad Basin Commission will provide the remaining 10% counterpart funding.

Project Information Sheet

- Project Location: Lake Chad Conventional Basin, Member States of the Lake Chad  Basin Commission: (Chad, Cameroon, Niger, Nigeria,  Central African Republic)

- Beneficiary: Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC)

Executing Agency: LCBC/Regional Coordination Project. B.P. 727 N’Djamena (Chad) Tel.: +235 52 41 45 Fax: +235 52 41 37 Internet Site:

- Estimated Start Up Date: January 2006

- Duration: 5 years (2006-2010)

Procurement of Goods and Services:

Procurement of goods, works and services for categories of expenditures financed by ADF

will be in accordance with ADF rules of procedure

*1UA = US $ 1.44946 as at 01/10/05


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.