AfDB President on a Joint Tour of the Sahel Region
|Location:||La région du Sahel|
We must aim high, be persistent, join hands across borders, be flexible, practical, be ready to learn and adjust at each juncture. This way we will get it right, by empowering the people of the Sahel, raising their hopes and aspirations, and building opportunities. This will contribute to avoiding a two-speed Africa, with the stable economies charging on ahead of those mired in conundrum, such as we see in the Sahel or the Horn. I came back from the Sahel wiser, and encouraged. A long time ago, it was a centre of learning and civilization – a melting point of faiths and cultures. Rebuilding the Sahel as a zone of shared prosperity is now our task. Read More
Donald Kaberuka promises the AfDB will pursue consolidation of development achievements in the Sahel region
Donald Kaberuka, President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), completed on Thursday, November 7, in N’Djamena, Chad, the last leg of a tour that took him to four countries in the Sahel. In each of these countries – Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso and Chad – Kaberuka reiterated the AfDB’s commitment to help consolidate social and economic advancements despite new threats facing the region. Read More
The African Development Bank (AfDB) will grant $4 billion to the Sahel to make it a region of stability of economic growth. This pronouncement was made by AfDB President Donald Kaberuka on November 5 in Bamako, Mali, at the Ministerial Meeting to establish a platform of coordination for the United Nations integrated strategy for the Sahel. The AfDB President was in the region within the framework of a joint mission of the AfDB, United Nations, World Bank, African Union and European Union. He also paid visits to Niger, Burkina Faso and Chad. Read More
The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Donald Kaberuka, will visit the Sahel region from 4th to 7th November 2013. The tour is part of a joint mission with the United Nations, the World Bank, the African Union and the European Union.
The object of the joint visit to Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso and Chad is to put forward a shared vision of the part each actor will play with regards to security, stability and economic development in the Sahel region .
In a video conference from Tunis, on Friday 1st November 2013 with the United Nations Secretary General and the World Bank President, Mr. Kaberuka expressed his satisfaction with the prevailing spirit of partnership between these institutions to help people in the Sahel tackle the challenges they face.
During the visit with the UN Secretary General, Bank Ki-moon, the President of the World Bank, Jim Yong Kim, the Chairperson of the African Union, Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma and the European Commissioner for development, Andris Piebalgs, President Kaberuka will re-affirm the AfDB’s commitment to support the Sahel countries in their development efforts ; and, in particular, deal with the crucial challenges in agriculture, food security, water, regional integration and infrastructure.
The AfDB has remained engaged in the Sahel in the past decades and intends to reinforce its presence with new initiatives. The objective is to make the Sahel a region that will enjoy long lasting peace through the strengthening of regional integration, resilience and inclusive economic growth.
In Mali, the first stage of the tour, a regional ministerial meeting will be held on 5th November. During the meeting President Kaberuka will stress the need to provide appropriate regional solutions that will put an end to threats to stability and development in the Sahel.
- Kaberuka and UK Special Envoy discuss development challenges of the Sahel region
- Donald Kaberuka promises the AfDB will pursue consolidation of development achievements in the Sahel region
- The Sahel – Towards a Region of Stability, Prosperity and Growth - AfDB President Donald Kaberuka
- Attaining the Demographic Dividend in the Sahel Region
- De la tribune de l’Assemblée nationale du Niger, le président Donald Kaberuka, apporte le soutien ferme de la BAD aux populations du Sahel
- “The complex nature of the crisis in the Sahel calls for coordinated action,” states President Kaberuka
- The AfDB to grant $4 billion to the Sahel for stability and economic growth
- Donald Kaberuka reaffirms AfDB’s commitment to supporting efforts to stabilize the Sahel
- La BAD et le secteur agricole au Sahel : des investissements de plus de 1 milliard de dollars bénéficiant à 2 millions de paysans et éleveurs
- BAD - Niger : 214 millions de dollars d’investissement dans les secteurs de l’eau et de l’agriculture
- La BAD appuie l’agropastoral et l’eau au Tchad avec des résultats tangibles
- La Bad au Burkina Faso : une intervention centrée sur la mobilisation de l'eau
- BAD - Tchad : Une intervention pour faire face aux défis de la fragilité
- AfDB plays a key role in donor coordination in Mali
- Water, a sector of preference for the AfDB
- Education au Sahel : Cap sur l’employabilité et la sécurité alimentaire