AfDB President on Official Visit to Togo
The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Donald Kaberuka, is on mission to Togo from March 1-3, 2013, where he will inaugurate the Bank’s new country office in Lomé, the Togolese capital, accompanied by a delegation comprising Senior Management.
Kaberuka will meet with the country’s authorities, including the country’s President, as well as development partners.
Since 1972, the Bank has approved 37 operations, representing US $551.32 million in Togo, with a 69 per cent portfolio disbursement rate. Cooperation between the Bank Group and Togo intensified in 2012, with the presence of the institution’s Togo Field Office (TGFO). TGFO’s mission is to improve the quality of Bank Group assistance to Togo, and to facilitate the implementation of operations financed by the AfDB.
The TGFO works with the Togolese Government to promote inclusive growth and generate jobs.
The Togo Field Office’s activities include, specifically:
- Providing advice and consultation for the success of reforms and projects;
- Strengthening coordination and partnership among all development actors;
- Participating in improving the business environment; and
- Monitoring the Bank’s portfolio in Togo.
Five strategic areas have been identified to achieve accelerated and inclusive growth, with a view to generating employment:
- Development of high potential growth sectors;
- Strengthening economic infrastructure;
- Development of human capital, social protection and employment;
- Strengthening governance; and
- Promotion of participatory and balanced sustainable development.