AfDB to host a design workshop for a continental risk-sharing facility to boost agriculture
The African Development Bank Group will host a workshop on “Establishing an African Agriculture Risk Sharing and Financing Mechanism” in Nairobi, Kenya, from 12-13 July 2016.
The AfDB seeks to partner with African governments and financial institutions to design an innovative mechanism which will facilitate increase in financing to agriculture. This will be through de-risking agriculture value chains, reducing transaction costs and unlocking financial flows into the agriculture sector at scale across the continent.
The workshop will be an opportunity for key stakeholders to contribute to the proposed facility’s modalities for sharing risks around financing agriculture value chains. The workshop will also present global and Africa-wide lessons learned and best practices in the design of a workable, context-based mechanism for the continent.
The workshop will bring together policy makers, including senior officials of Ministries of Finance, Agriculture, Central Banks, commercial banks and other financial institutions, development partners, among others, in order to:
i. Exchange knowledge and experiences on successful agriculture risk sharing mechanisms across Africa;
ii. Build a consensus on the conceptual framework on Risk Sharing;
iii. Present AfDB’s thoughts on the Risk Sharing and Financing Mechanism, its preliminary design elements, and get feedback from the audience;
iv. Articulate the expected roles of AfDB and stakeholders in the design and management of the Risk Sharing Facility, alongside public, private and institutional partners to operationalise the risk sharing mechanism.
- Workshop Concept Note (415 kB)
- Programme (417 kB)
- Information Note for participants (326 kB)
- Opening Statement by H.E. Mr. Henry ROTICH, Cabinet Secretary for the National Treasury, Republic of Kenya (2.5 MB)
- Keynote Speech (331 kB)
- Setting the Stage: “Feed Africa – “Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa” 2016-2025 (3.1 MB)
- State of Play: Scaling Up Risk Sharing Mechanism Investments in Africa’s Agriculture: An Overview - Mr. Robert MASUMBUKO (1.9 MB)
- PANEL I: Public Sector-Led Agricultural Finance Risk Sharing Models - Dr. Abdulhameed ALIYU (1.1 MB)
- PANEL I: Public Sector-Led Agricultural Finance Risk Sharing Models - Mr. Ali Benabdallah BENMOKHTAR (1.2 MB)
- PANEL II: Private Sector Experience on Managing Risk for Agricultural Finance - Mr. Anya DUROHA (1.4 MB)
- PANEL II: Private Sector Experience on Managing Risk for Agricultural Finance - Mr. John WAKIUMU (637 kB)
- PANEL III: Role of Central Banks in Promoting Risk Sharing for Agricultural Finance - Dr. Johnson ASIAMAH (385 kB)
- PANEL III: Role of Central Banks in Promoting Risk Sharing for Agricultural Finance - Mrs. Rosette BAMWINE (825 kB)
- PANEL IV: Innovative Mechanisms for Agri-Finance - Mr. Vuyani JARANA (2.0 MB)
- PANEL IV: Innovative Mechanisms for Agri-Finance - Mr. Simon YOUNG (361 kB)
- Synthesis and Presentation of Key Lessons from Technical Panel Sessions - Mr. Robert MASUMBUKO (1.1 MB)
- MINISTERIAL ROUNDTABLE II: Developing An Inclusive Risk Sharing Mechanism - Mr. Greg SNYDERS (1.3 MB)
- MINISTERIAL ROUNDTABLE III: Partnerships For Risk Sharing Mechanism - Mr. Jude UZONWANNE (737 kB)
- VSoft Agri Loan System (2.5 MB)
- Conclusions (1.2 MB)
- OPERATIONALIZING EBAFOSA (5.3 MB)