AfDB Views on Aid Effectiveness and Energy to be discussed at 2010 European Development Days
“Aid is only a means to an end. Indeed, if aid is truly effective, it will progressively do itself out of a job. Effective aid should therefore be designed with this in mind – to strengthen, not displace, domestic energy and capacity; and to build up, not replace, alternative sources of development finance. This is a new way of thinking about the development partnership” Mr. Kaberuka explained .
The African Development Bank (AfDB) will be present at the 5th European Development Days (EDD), to be held from 6-7 December 2010 in Brussels, Belgium.
The AfDB President, Donald Kaberuka, will share the Bank’s views on aid effectiveness at a High-Level Panel on “Aid Effectiveness Objective Korea 2011 – Is the EU committed to make change happen?”
During the session, speakers will discuss progress made in the realization of the Aid Effectiveness agenda set in Paris and Accra. Key issues such as the continuity of budget support to aid delivery; the effectiveness of partnership for development among donors; as well as the future of the global aid architecture post-2011 will also be discussed.
The Bank’s Energy Director, Hela Cheikhrouhou, will participate in the High-Level Panel on “The Energy Evolution: Mobilizing Energy for Sustainable Development Experiences and Lessons Learnt in Africa, Asia and Latin America.” (Speakers’ Résumés, Background Note, Statements and Focus of Discussion) Issues such as factors of success for scaling-up initiatives toward increasing access to sustainable energy for the poor will be discussed.
The EDD is a flagship event which showcases the European Union's commitment to development.
- The AfDB and Austria
- The AfDB and Belgium
- The AfDB and Denmark
- The AfDB and Finland
- The AfDB and France
- The AfDB and Germany
- The AfDB and Italy
- The AfDB and Netherlands
- The AfDB and Norway
- The AfDB and Portugal
- The AfDB and Sweden
- The AfDB and Switzerland
- The AfDB and United Kingdom
- The AfDB and European Commission
- The AfDB and DEG
- The AfDB and EIB
- The AfDB and FMO
- The AfDB and PROPARCO
- Second Regional Meeting on Aid Effectiveness to Promote New Vision for Development
- President Kaberuka at the European Development Days in Stockholm
- Bank Group President Attends Third European Development Days-November 15-17, 2008
- From Aid to Development Effectiveness – AfDB Advocates Paradigm Shift
- European Development Days: Debate in Preparation for Busan conference in Korea
- European Development Days: Aid should be a Catalyst for Development
- Agenda (22 kB)
- Africa's Opportunity for Low Carbon Growth : Focusing on energy Access for All (2.65 MB)
- Press Advisory-Development organisations GTZ and SNV join hands in European energy debate (107 kB)
- Paris declaration on Aid Effectiveness (251 kB)
- Implementing the Paris Declaration Commitments and Building on the Accra Agenda for Action (190 kB)
- Accra Agenda for Action (888 kB)