Africa Science & Technology Consolidated Action Plan-Resource Mobilization & Partnership High-Level Meeting, 9 – 10 July 2007, Tunis, Tunisia
The African Development Bank (AfDB) will host a two-day high-level meeting of experts from the African Union (AU) Commission, NEPAD Secretariat, Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA), and the ADB in the area of science and technology with a view to enhancing Africa’s socio-economic transformation and integration into the world economy.
The high-level meeting is expected to promote partnership and explore resource mobilization options to strengthen the capacities of the AU Commission and NEPAD in delivering the African Ministers Council on Science and Technology (AMCOST) Consolidated Plan of Action and the 2nd Decade of Education Plan in AfDB’s Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
During the two-day meeting, presentations will be made on the following issues:
- Implementation of the AU 2nd Decade of Education Plan
- AU/NEPAD Africa’s Science & Technology Consolidated Plan of Action
- Capacity strengthening needs in AU Commission and NEPAD
- Science and technology investment needs in AfDB’s RMCs
- Lessons learnt in the mobilization of resources for similar continent-wide initiatives
- ADB Resource Mobilization and Financing Framework for Science & Technology development in Africa
Participants will include, Prof. Nagia Essayed, AU Commissioner for Human Resources and Science and Technology, Prof. Mamadou Ndoye, Executive Secretary, ADEA, and Mr. John Mugabe, Director, Science and Technology, NEPAD.
The meeting will be chaired by Vice President Zeinab El Bakri, AfDB.