Angola: US$ 18 Million Dollars for Sumbe Water and Sanitation project
Tunis, 28 November 2007 – A loan of 12 million Units of Accounts (UA*), about US$ 18.86 million was approved on Wednesday in Tunis by the Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF) to finance the Sumbe Water Supply, Sanitation and Institutional Support Project in Angola.
The objective of the project is to improve access, quality and the sustainability of water supply and sanitation services in Sumbe, capital of Kwanza Sul Province and surrounding areas. The project will involve rehabilitating and extending water supply and sanitation systems as well as providing institutional support for the formation and functioning of a water utility.
The project involves the rehabilitation and expansion of water supply and sanitation systems in Sumbe and the development of a Comprehensive National Rural Water and Sanitation Program. It comprises:
- Water Supply infrastructure;
- Sanitation consisting of the rehabilitation of sewerage and sanitation infrastructure in schools, health centres, markets and public places as well as solid waste management;
- Community Mobilization, Sanitation, Hygiene Education and Environmental Awareness (CBSHE);
- Institutional Support for Water and Sanitation Utility;
- The Development of Comprehensive National Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Program;
- Project Management.
The project covers Sumbe town, capital of Kwanza Sul province situated 360 Km south of Luanda. The project beneficiaries include residents of the city and its environs as well as residents of adjacent satellite towns of E15 and Chingo with an estimated 140,000 inhabitants, the majority (70%) of whom live in the semi-urban areas. The project will also benefit the schools and health sector facilities, as well as the commercial sectors in the city.
The total cost of the project is estimated at UA 24 million. The ADF loan represents 50% of the project costs. The Angolan government will provide the other UA 12 million (50%) of the total cost.
The African Development Bank Group started operations in Angola in 1983. To date, the Group’s cumulative commitment in the country stands at US$ 211.07 million for 33 operations.
* 1 UA = 1.57188 US$ =116.727 as at 28/11/2007