New AfDB Board Members Commence Service
The new members of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group Board of Directors commenced their term of service on 1 July 2010, with an informal Board meeting chaired by AfDB President, Donald Kaberuka.
During the last AfDB Annual Meetings, in May 2010 in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, the Board of Governors adopted a resolution providing for broader representation for shareholders on the Board of Directors by adding two seats to have a 20-member Board. One seat was allocated to regional member countries and another to non regional member countries.
Following adoption of the resolution, the Governors elected 20 executive directors, of which ten are continuing their term of service and ten are newly elected.
The newly elected Executive Directors are:
- Mr. Mohit DHOORUNDHUR, representing Mauritius, Botswana, Zambia, and Malawi
- Mr. Masahiro KAN, representing Japan, Saudi Arabia, Austria, Brazil and Argentina
- Mr. Elfatih Mohamed KHALID, representing Sudan, Liberia, Ghana, Gambia and Sierra Leone
- Mr. Shahid KHAN, representing South Africa, Lesotho and SwazilandMrs. Mary Consolate MUDUULI, representing Uganda, Seychelles, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Eritrea
- Mr. André NZAPAYEKE, representing Central African Republic, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cameroon and Burundi
- Ambassador Mogens PEDERSEN, representing Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and India
- Mr. Mamadou Abdoulaye SOW, representing Senegal Gabon, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Benin, Cape Verde, Chad and Comoros
- Mr. Mampuya Francisco Pedro TOMBWELE, representing Angola, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Namibia.
- Mr. Vincenzo ZEZZA, representing Italy, Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
In his opening remarks, President Donald Kaberuka welcomed the 10 new Executive Directors to the Bank and re-affirmed the close relationship and continuous engagement between the former Board and senior management. He expressed his wish that this close cooperation will continue with the new Board of Directors. This appreciation was echoed by the current Executive Directors, who also welcomed their new colleagues and offered their full support during their term of service.