Burkina Faso - Gets US$ 18.5 Million ADF Loan for Rural Development

Share |

Tunis, 21 July 2006 – Efforts deployed by the Government of Burkina Faso to develop rural parts of the country received support from the African Development Bank  (AfDB) Group today with the approval of a loan of 12.50 million Units of Account (UC*) equivalent to US$ 18.49 million to finance the rural development project.

The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional window of the AfDB Group, approved the loan in Tunis on Friday to finance ‘The Decentralised Rural Development Support Project in the Provinces of Gnagna and Kourittenga (PADER-GK).

The project aims at increasing agricultural production and improving the living conditions of the rural populations and by so doing, enhance the country’s food security.

The major activities of the project will include:

-  The development/rehabilitation of 154 ha of irrigated areas downstream and 600 ha upstream of existing small dams, 500 ha of runoff water irrigated areas (PIER) and 280 ha of bottomland areas and the construction of the Koala dam-feeder road;

-  The rehabilitation of 8 existing small dams, 114 km of feeder roads, engineering designs and works control and supervision;

-  The preparation of two provincial land-use management plans, sixteen Municipal production and conservation space development plans, 16 municipal development plans, providing training and literacy courses to village communities and beneficiaries;

-  Disseminating production techniques for both rain-fed and irrigated farming and for herd management;

-  Establishment of a local development fund at least two-thirds of which will be allocated to natural resource protection actions (embankment protection, protection of slopes and ravines, village reforestation, windbreaks, firewalls, pasture water supply points, etc.) and the allocation of one-third of the resources to social infrastructure such as schools, literacy centres, health centres.

The overall cost of the project is estimated at UA 15.28 million UA, equivalent to US$ 22. 60 million.

The ADF loan will cover 82 % of the costs. The Government of Bukina Faso and  the beneficiaries will provide the remaining 18%, amounting to  1.58 million UA and 1.2 million UA respectively.

The ADB Group began operations in Burkina Faso in 1970. To date, its commitments in the country stand at US$ 842.60 million in 71 operations.

Project Brief

-  Name of Project: Decentralised Rural Development Support Project in the Provinces of Gnagna and Kourittenga

-  Executing Agency: Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Fisheries Resources, 03 BP 7010 Ouagadougou 03-Burkina Faso Tel: (+ 226) 50 30 57 42, Fax: (+ 226 ) 50 30 57 42 - gnesou@fasonet.bf

-  E-mail: emerdoti@intnet.ne

-  Start up date: December 2006

-  Procurement: The procurement of goods, works and services financed by ADF shall be conducted in accordance with the relevant rules of procedure as follows: (1) International competitive bidding: for works relating to the development of irrigation schemes and impoundment dams; (II) National competitive bidding: for the development of runoff-water-irrigation schemes (PIER), marshlands and feeder roads

* 1 UA = USD 1.47937 as at 21/07/2006


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.