Burkina Faso-Niger: US$ 41 Million for Road Construction

Share |

Tunis, 27 October 2006 – The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional window of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group, on Friday in Tunis,  approved a loan and a grant amounting to US$ 41.07 million to finance the construction of the Dori-Tera road and transport facilitation in the Ouagadougou-Dori-Tera-Niamey Corridor.

The objective of the project is to raise the level of service of this principal community road network, with a view to promoting trade along the integrating corridors in the West African Economic and Monetary Union WAEMU and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).  The project is expected to promote inter-state trade in the Liptako-Gourma region with lower trans-border transport costs, and help reduce poverty in the area.

The project is expected to achieve the following results:

  • Completion of 91 kilometers of double-surfaced road between Dori and Téra, with a 7-m wide roadway and 1.5 m shoulders;
  • Connection of 22 kms of urban road network with double coating, 7 meters wide with 1.5 m-wide shoulders, of which 11 km is located in Dori and 11 km in Téra;
  • Construction of  60 kms of rural feeder roads off the main road; sinking of eight boreholes; rehabilitation of  two health centers and two local markets; fencing in of two schools;
  • Establishment of joint control mechanisms comprising administrative buildings, parking areas, internal circulation areas, axle control and computer equipments;
  • Sensitization of 150,000 inhabitants of the area on environmental protection, road safety, compliance with axle load limitations and HIV/AIDS.

The estimated overall cost of the project is UA 30.90 million, equivalent to US$ 45.62 million. The ADF loan of UA 12.71 million, equivalent to US$ 18.76 million and grant of UA 15.11 million, equivalent to US$ 22.31 million will finance 90% of the total costs. The Governments of Burkina Faso, Niger and WAEMU Commission will finance the remaining 10%.

Project Brief

  • Name of Project: Project for the Construction of the Dori-
    Téra Road and Transport Facilitation in the Ouadougou-Dori-Téra-Niamey Corridor
  • Location:
    • Burkina Faso: Sahel Region,
    • Niger: Tillabéry Region
  • Executing Agency:
    • For Burkina Faso: Ministère des Infrastructures et du Désenclavement (Ministry responsible for infrastructure and the opening up of the territory) Tel: +226 50 35 60 26 - Fax: +226 50 30 85 88 Email: dgir@fasonet.bf
    • For Niger: Ministère de l’Equipement (Ministry of Equipment – Tel: +227 20 79 59 26 Fax: +227 20 72 21 71 Email: dgtp@intnet.ne
    • WAEMU: Tel: _+226 50 31 88 73/76 Fax: 226 50 31 88 Email: commission@uemoa.int
  • Starting Date: July 2007
  • Duration: 24 months

* 1 UA = 1.47637 US$ = 764.957 CFAF as at 27/10/2006

Related Sections


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.