Chad - ADF Supports Water and Sanitation Project
Tunis, 12 July 2006 – Efforts aimed at improving living conditions in Chad have received a big boost from the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group, following the approval of a grant to finance a water and sanitation project in two regions of the country.
The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund, the concessional arm of the AfDB Group, on Wednesday in Tunis, approved a grant of 13 million Units of Account* (US$ 19.2 million or CFA 10 billion) to finance a component of The National Rural Drinking Water Supply and Sanitation Programme (DWSS).
The overall goal of the programme is to meet the drinking water and sanitation needs of the rural population with a view to sustainably improving their health and socio-economic status.
The DWSS sub-program financed by the ADF aims to provide access to drinking water and sanitation services in the southern regions of Tandjilé and Mayo Kebbi. It will strengthen national management and monitoring capacities in the rural water and sanitation sector and improve the quality of life of rural communities by ensuring sustainable delivery of drinking water and sanitation services.
The project has the following components:
- DWSS Infrastructure Development
- Information, Education and Communication (IEC),
- Institutional Support,
- Work Supervision and Control.
The Mayo Kebbi and Tandjile regions of Chad have an estimated population of 1,5 million people, 772,460 of which are women living in 350 villages. The project is expected to increase the percentage of the rural population with access to drinking water from 34% in 2003 to 66% in 2010 and to 80% in 2015.
Furthermore, the number of people with access to adequate sanitation is expected to increase from 10% to 40% in 2010 and 60% in 2015, while the proportion of poor people is projected to decrease from 57% in 2003 to 47% by 2015.
The ADB Group began operations in Chad in 1974. To date, its commitments in the country stand at US$ 541.44 million in 66 operations.
- Name of Project: Rural Drinking Water Supply and Sanitation Programme (DWSS)
- Location: Tandjile and Mayo Kebbi Regions
- Executing Agency: Ministry of the Environment and Water N’Djamena – Chad Tel.: +235 52 44 60 Fax: +235 52 38 39
- Start up date: October 2006
- Duration: 48 months
- Procurement of goods and works:
- Goods: Contracts for the procurement of hand pumps will be awarded through international competitive bidding. Procurement of vehicles, motorcycles, computer equipment and software, water laboratory analysis and all contracts for the procurement of equipment and other materials and office equipment will be awarded through national competitive bidding.
- Works: Work contracts for new boreholes fitted with hand pumps will be awarded through international competitive bidding.
* UA 1 = USD 1.47937 = CFA 763.317 as at 12/07/2006