COMESA - AfDB Group Supports Reforms in Procurements

Share |

Tunis, 21 July 2006 – The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund, the concessional arm of the African Development (AfDB) Group on Friday in Tunis approved a grant of 5.66 million Units of Account (UA*) equivalent to US$ 8.37 million to finance procurement reforms and capacity building project in the COMESA  states.

The objective of the project is to enhance the public procurement systems of COMESA member states by modernising and harmonising the laws, regulations and procedures and by strengthening the capacity of the countries concerned to manage modern public procurement systems.

The project is expected to enhance good governance and regional integration in COMESA through modern and harmonised public procurement systems.

The expected outputs are:

-  Full awareness of the principles and workings of the national and regional public procurement systems by the public and private sectors;

-  Publication of national procurement laws and regulations that are consistent with the COMESA procurement directive passed under the Public Procurement Reform Project (PPRP);

-  Well-designed procurement training materials and case studies;

-  A well trained critical mass of procurement professionals, capable of managing the modern procurement system;

-  Enhanced capacity at the COMESA Secretariat to implement COMESA objectives, and monitoring compliance to COMESA Directives;

-  Enhanced information technologies and human capacity for collection and dissemination of procurement information.

The project will benefit the area’s governments, private sector and development partners through modernization and harmonization of their national procurement systems and by strengthening their institutional capacity to manage the modernized systems. It will also strengthen the capacity of the Secretariat to enable it assist member states implement the procurement systems. The project will promote better governance and harmonize the public procurement systems in the member states, which will, in turn, enhance intra-regional trade in COMESA and trade between COMESA and the rest of the world.

The total project cost is estimated at UA 6.36 million, equivalent to US$ 9.40 million. The ADF grant will finance 89 % of the cost, while COMESA will provide the remaining 11 %.

Project Brief

-  Name of Project: Enhancing Procurement Reforms and Capacity Project (EPRCP)

-  Executing Agency: COMESA Secretariat, Comesa Centre, Ben Bella Road, Lusaka, Zambia, Tel: +260 1 229 726/ 32, Fax: +2601 225 107, up date: January 2007

-  Start up Date: July 2006.

-  Duration: Four (4) years.

-  Procurement: Computer hardware and software, office equipment (National Shopping); Consulting services (Shortlist); and Training (Other).

-  Consultancy Services: (a) Two consulting firms for: (i) Public procurement and capacity building, and Development of Procurement Training Systems; and (ii) Information Technology; (b) Individual consultants for Legal and Legislative drafting.

* 1 UA = USD 1.47937 as at 21/07/2006

1 COMESA – Common Market for East and Southern Africa


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.