Development in action: Expansion of Nairobi’s Outer Ring Road reduces traffic congestion, public commute times

Commuting time reduced from 2 hours to 10 minutes

23/07/2018
Share |

Development in action: Expansion of Nairobi’s Outer Ring Road reduces traffic congestion, public commute times

The expansion of a 13-kilometre Outer ring road in the Kenyan capital has significantly reduced travel times and road congestion demonstrating the power of road infrastructure in development, says African Development Bank President, Akinwumi Adesina.

The road provides access to residential and industrial zones in the East and North of Nairobi, and to two other major entry and exit routes for the city – Thika Road and Mombasa Road.

During a July 21 tour of the road, the President met residents who narrated how the road has significantly improved their lives.

“This is the best road that we have ever had,” one resident said. “Now we get to town in 10 to 15 minutes as against two hours and even more,” he added.

The Bank provided 90 percent of the funds (about US$ 109 million) for the road while  the remaining 10% came from the Kenyan government.

Beyond easing traffic, the project has a component, which enhanced skills for youth in neighbouring high-density urban settlements. About 500 youth, 60% of them women, are pursuing infrastructure-related courses in a number of technical institutions in Nairobi.

“This is what development is about,” said President Adesina.

Adesina called on the Bank and the Kenya government to provide additional micro finance to guarantee long term sustainability of the road project.

Other benefits of the road project include construction of a new market on the road corridor, which can accommodate close to 3,000 traders. The market will benefit mostly roadside traders who were displaced during the construction of the road. 

The Nairobi Outer Ring Road Improvement Project began in 2014. It is being implemented by the Kenya Urban Roads Authority and is scheduled for completion by the end of this year.


Related Sections