DR Congo: US$ 22.7 Million ADF Grant for Post-Conflict Reintegration Project

Share |

Tunis, 24 July 2007 – The African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional window of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group, will support a Post-conflict Socio-economic Reintegration Support project (PARSEC) in the Democratic Republic of Congo with a grant of 15 million Units of Account (UA*), equivalent to US$ 22.7 million approved by the Fund’s Board of Directors in Tunis on Tuesday.

The objective of the project is to support the redeployment of ex-combatants through vocational training and self-employment in agricultural activities in the provinces of Katanga, Maniema, North Kivu, Orientale, and South Kivu with a view to contributing to peace-building and promoting sustainable development in the country.

The project will involve strengthening of sensitization, and redeployment opportunities, supporting the management of the project and finance implementation of project activities over a period of 18 months.

The direct beneficiaries of the project will include ex-combatants (men, women and young people aged over 18 years) who wish to be reintegrated in agricultural activities. The child-soldiers are being catered for under specific projects. The total number of beneficiaries to be reintegrated by the project is estimated at 28,500 people including approximately 1,000 women representing the remaining number of women to be reintegrated in agricultural activities in the project area. This number includes 11,500 demobilized ex-combatants who chose the agricultural sector and have already received initial support. The program is on standby in anticipation of funds for their training; and 17,000 ex-combatants who will be demobilized with additional resources from the National disarmament, demobilization and reintegration Programme (PNDDR).

The project cost is estimated at UA 16.66 million, equivalent to US$ 25 million. The ADF grant will cover 90% of total project cost. The government will contribute the remaining 1.66 million UA representing 10% of total cost.

The ADB Group operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo started in 1973. To date, its commitments in the country stand at US$ 1.97 billion in 95 operations.

* UA 1 = US$ 1.51557 = CDF846.589  on 18/07/2007

Related Sections


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.