You are here
“Ending Conflict and Building Peace in Africa: A Call to Action” Fragile States report discussed in Washington, DC
President Donald Kaberuka of the African Development Bank Group will present the final report of the High Level Panel on Fragile States titled “Ending conflict and building peace in Africa: A call to action” in Washington, DC on Thursday, April 10 2014. Also present will be Ammarah Konneh, Minister of Finance, Liberia; Petta Haavisto, Minister for International Development, Finland; and Makhtar Diop, World Bank Vice-President for Africa.
The findings of the High Level Panel Report on Fragile States offers an unprecedented level of analysis that will allow the African Development Bank to directly apply its mandate to broker new partnerships that support African states to develop regional, international frameworks and processes that build the basis for reconciliation, peace and prosperity.
The report addresses the following key areas:
- The multi-dimensional challenge of youth employment
- Providing direct support for private investment in isolated economies
- Empowering women as key actors in peace-building and state-building and in building livelihoods
- Supporting economic aspects of justice, security, including promoting human security in Africa’s cities
- Building the capacity of the Regional Economic Communities to pursue regional solutions to drivers of fragility such as natural resource management and the extractive industries
- Building knowledge networks in AfDB field offices in countries affected by conflict and fragility
Discussion led by:
Donald Kaberuka, President of the African Development Bank Group, and Chaired by Makhtar Diop, World Bank Vice-President for the Africa Region
Date and Time:
Thursday, April 10, 2014; Time: 15:30-17:00 EDT
Interviews available upon request:
President Kaberuka and panel members will be available to answer questions about the challenge of fragility in Africa, as well as the recommendations made in the report.
Auditorium on the J Lobby level (J 1-050), World Bank, Washington, DC
Members of the High Level Panel at the meeting:
For more information or to cover this event, kindly contact:
Ms. Dawn Leibrandt
Communications Consultant, High Level Panel Secretariat
Tel. +216 555 15 689,
Follow live: live.worldbank.org/ending-conflict-building-peace-africa