Environment Seminar to Deepen AfDB Commitment to Africa’s Green Economy
The Bank is committed to Africa’s transformation to a green economy. To this end, the Bank from 21-22 March 2011, hosted an international seminar on strategic environment and social assessments (SESA). The seminar aimed at deepening the AfDB’s implementation of more environmentally and socially sustainable projects and programmes. Coodinated by the Compliance and Safeguards Division, the seminar broeght together at Hotel Sharaton, Tunis, leading international agencies involved in implementing strategic environmental and social assessments. These included the MDBs, as well as OECD/DAC, CIDA, NCEA. The African Union and several RECs which are very important actors for driving the SESA mainstreaming process in Africa will also be in attendance.
The seminar held several sessions and presentatons to enable participants to share experiences. It is an important milestone toward implementation of the Paris Declaration and Accra Agenda of Action on Aid effectiveness and harmonization among multilateral finance institutions (MFIs). Key among the immediate outcomes is the full updating of the Bank’s Integrated Safeguards System (ISS) and the revision of its Social and Environmental Safeguards Assessment (SESA) for policy-based lending operations. SESA tools provide an entry point to reduce social and environmental risks in line with the Bank’s efforts to foster the transformation of African countries to green economies.
- AfDB Launches Environmental & Social Procedures Basics Brochure
- Leveraging Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment Tools in Development
- Environmental Assessment Meeting: Milestone for Paris Declaration and Accra Agenda for Action
- Incorporating Strategic Environmental and Social Assessments (SESA) Safeguards in policy-based lending operations
- Presentation - Climate Safeguards Systems - Mainstreaming Climate Change Adaptation into Bank Operations (1.19 MB)
- Presentation - AfDB’s Green Growth Strategy: What Role can SESA play? (1.15 MB)
- Presentation - AfDB Safeguards - Towards an Integrated Safeguards System (2.89 MB)
- Presentation - Beyond Project Sustainability - The African Development Bank Experience (2.07 MB)